Boston Harbor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boston Harbor

Capt.Wayne
08-19-2002, 05:39 PM
:hehe:
Saturday, August 17, 2002: I had the pleasure of taking Dean Gray and his father out today for a fly and light tackle trip. It was a very frustrating day for yours truly...Although we found some small schools of bass and blues in Hingham, Quincy and Dorchester Bays, they simply refused to take our offerings. The blues inside the Bay were spotty and moving fast requiring casts faster than a speeding bullet! The folks who were trolling CD 18 rapalas, etc... offshore were hooking up consistently with nice size blues. It just wasn't our day...

Sunday, August 18, 2002: Every day out in the Harbor is different and today was no exception for Bob Nelson, his brother Jim, and their father Tom
Nelson. At first light, we hit a small school of small blues in Quincy Bay and hooked a few while practicing our fly casting basics. Both Bob and Jim are new to the game, Jim never having caught a fish on the fly. After things slowed down in Quincy, I found a nice school of bass busting small bait, most likely silversides, along Spectacle I. Small silverside patterns in yellow or chartreuse were the ticket, as well as white sluggos for the spin fisher. A number of boats were also on bass off the Castle. Many of these fish had sea lice. But today was a day for bluefishing...In fact, today was by far and away one of the best days for bluefishing in Boston or anywhere! It really doesn't get any better. There were acres of "user friendly" blues on top from the Point and east of the Graves.
These fish were aggressive, seemingly oblivious to the boats, and gorging themselves on peanut bunker. The fly of choice was a white sea-ducer fished on an intermediate line. We later switched to small flies @ 2 hours into the blitz. Any topwater lure worked equally well fished on a spinning rod.

Monday, August19, 2002: Took a busman's holiday today and fished with my friend, Roger Moore, CCA-MA President. While we were miles offshore
searching for school BFT, there was a nice bass blitz in the anchorage which lasted for about an hour or so. We made the fast run back to Boston to catch the tail end and missed most of the show. However, we got into some nice bass and small blues off the airport and the Castle about one hour into the going tide. We found some more blues in Quincy Bay but thses fish were spotty and hard to get onto. The acres of blues from yesterday were no where to be found today. That's fishin'...The good news is there are herring, silversides and peanut bunker in the harbor and lots of them. The best news is that there are fresh sea run bass as well.

Until next week, we'll see you out there...

Capt. Wayne Frieden

GregD
08-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the report Capt Wayne.

Being so close to Boston harbor I can't believe I haven't tried the area. Especially after living here for years. Sure sounds like great fishing to me.

South Boston seems like the best access, But I don't know the area or the quality of ramp access or parking. My atlas shows a ramp in North Weymouth area by Stodders Neck reservation.

Do you have any suggestions for best boat ramps to access the harbor that are close to the mass pike?

Thanks,
Greg.