THE foolproof plan [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: THE foolproof plan

striblue
08-19-2002, 09:35 AM
OK..here's the plan to hook those obnoxious stripers at Monomoy... next weekend we bring dead sand eels and hook them on bare hooks... then fish them and catch stripers.... after we catch 10 or 20 , mostly over 36 inches...the vibes will get out and the fish will avoid live (or real bait) and gladly hit our flies... great idea huh!... smart... we catch fish and set the record straight over there.... what do you think....of course I am against using bait...but if it entices them back to the fly... why would that be bad..I...I... mean ..... the proper attitude is there.... the end result is part of what we are after.... I have the proper intentions...right?...:D ;)

Lefty
08-19-2002, 09:59 AM
John,
Do like the No. Shore crew: give up and go after big bluefish! Fun fun. Up heah a flat is when the water comes up to 30 feet.

Lefty

jfbasser
08-19-2002, 11:51 AM
I heard that the smell of nicotene on the leader spooks the fish!:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :hehe:

Penguin
08-19-2002, 04:44 PM
John...Lemme know if you're going ahead with your plan.
Personally, I prefer fresh dead with a little Chinese mustard on the side!
Granted, it's an acquired taste and after breathe can be a concern...but...it's all part of "being one" with the fish!

Have you thought about breaking out the CAC "HolyHandGrinade"?!

juro
08-19-2002, 06:20 PM
I'll be breakin' out a new fly over the next three weekends... I tied it a while ago, laughed my arse off looking at it, never fished it but now is the time to unleash the weapon... :hehe:

Penguin
08-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Enter the Dragon...with a new secret weapon in his bag of tricks!

Juromeister...'got a HolyHandGrenade of my own...you should be around for the unvailing...coming soon, to a boat ramp near you!

juro
08-19-2002, 09:58 PM
You'll crack up when you see it but I will bet it works! Only one hook but... :whoa: :chuckle:

FishHawk
08-20-2002, 06:31 AM
Go for it John ,anything to hook those stuck up bass. FishHawk

rooster
08-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Dittos on the new striper plan. I enjoyed the day with striblue and penguin. That kid with the bloodworms had it figured out!:)

striblue
08-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Dennis, Glad you have signed on...see you in October.

juro
08-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Was the seaworm kid there again? Sits right by the wooden post on the south edge of the cove where Rip Ryder drops us off?

rooster
08-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Didn't see that kid, this youngster was fishing with his Dad on the Flats and it was his first striper. Quite a happy pair. He did release it.

juro
08-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Sounds great. The kid I am referring to filled a cooler with a cow for each sister, brother and his mother too. One of them was so big there was no way it could fit into the cooler, approaching 30 pounds. The big cow had a calico crab big enough to scare a swimmer in it's stomach.

Penguin
08-21-2002, 04:04 PM
"The big cow had a calico crab big enough to scare a swimmer in it's stomach."

The cow had a swimmer in its' stomach? So much for "Shark Week"...

Juro...When are you going to get your waders wet on the FarSide (of the Canal) again !?

kush
08-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Pete,

I know that in your attempt to be one with the striper you've consumed the elegant sandeel, I'm wondering, do you have plans for the seaworm? If so please post the pictures.

striblue
08-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Kush...Please!!!!... don't get him going. Next thing you know we will have those Yemen stories.

Penguin
08-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Kushmeister...
After knocking off a few flys in the bunker and turning off the lights...as I was leaving I couldn't help but notice a peculiar glowing in an obscure and cluttered corner...
I found a pouch with some industrial nuclear waste luminescent goodies and I'm certain they're remnants of your FarSide stay!
Gimme' an address and a special lead shipping container and I'll send them on home...Cheers!

and...John Scissorshandz...'tried any of those ParanoidPenguinShrimp yet!? I think they'll work in a pinch with a frontal lobotomy...oops, make that a frontal presentation.
See ya Saturday?!

tomd
08-22-2002, 12:49 AM
John , just bring a bunch of eels and trow em out at the fish till you get em in a frenzy, then throw your best eel pattern in and wham!!! could cost you a few pennies though!!! :D :devil: :whoa:
Tom D

kush
08-22-2002, 01:24 AM
Pete:

Just tried again and admin said your mailbox still has no room. I'll send message via email instead.

Penguin
08-22-2002, 02:15 AM
Kush...
I've deleted everything in sight plus the kitchen sink and my pet rock collection...'even emptied the garbage...
I've run into this problem before and e-mail is the waytogo!

rooster
08-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I wish I was headed out with you guys this weekend. I'd like to see what gets tied onto the end of the long poles!
I think it's going to be pretty sedate out here compared to M I.
We are putting the "wine into the bottles this weekend".., so most of my buddies will be doing more drinking than fishing. Still, I think you may have more fun.
John, Pete, check out the photo my son added to the profile, I told him to make the fish look bigger and my gut look smaller,but I think he reversed my instructions!
Cheers,
Rooster

kush
08-23-2002, 04:39 AM
Pete,

I've been thinking about the stuff I left behind. It is probably the package(s) of hootchies that I used as the basis of Kush's Kalamari - the infamous squid fly that the fish on the Rip Trip found to their liking. I brought them to the Cape to give them to some of the guys to try out. Obviously I forgot to pass some out ( I even forgot that I'd forgotten!), tie a few of the evil little rascals up and pass some of the hootchies around to the boys. I'd really like to see what Striblue will come up with! If you've don't remember what the "fly" looked like check it out in the Striper fly archives.

striblue
08-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Good job Dennis... will let you know who we make out this weekend. Kush... I think you showed me the Kalamari special but I don't have one... I will steal one from Penguin.

rooster
08-23-2002, 11:36 AM
As we bottle this weekend we'll be thinking of an appropriate name for one of the reds..., it's gonna have to have something to do with fishing the Cape...., Momomoy Red?, perhaps, but I think the minds of 3 winemaking fishermen can do better! Last year my buddies put up the "zinfromhell" and a "not-so-petite-sirah". If you think of a good name for a decent breakfast wine, let me know.
May the force be with you guys!
Adios,
Rooster

rooster
08-26-2002, 12:44 PM
Penguin, Striblue,
How did the weekend go?
We bottled 19 cases or red.
No new names yet.
Cheers,
DK
aka rooster

striblue
08-26-2002, 01:18 PM
Dennis..see my post on "Chatham Report"..but it went poorly..did not do North Monomoy and did not fish on Sunday. If the mung leaves...southy beach will turn around and I will try North this weekend..weather permitting. Don't drink all that wine..it's bottling not drinking...remember.

rooster
08-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Striblue,
Thanks for the report.
This stuff won't be real good for another year, so it really was "just bottling", with a little sampling....,
Cheers,
DK

Penguin
08-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Dennis...
No one got hurt and the general public was never in danger!
If you go to your favorite fly fishing "how-to" book and look up "fishy places" you would see a picture of the Chatham bars/shoals...
It looked great!...clouds of peanut bunker...three hours to slack low...'did a yakattack insertion under cover of darkness...
Big holes with structure/bait/current...'finally went with lighter tippet/smaller fly and quickly went tight...Mr Bluefish gets a piercing and leaves with a swell bunker surf candy to show his pals!
Had a good time! Wasn't the LoneRanger when it came to not catching...and will probably do it again because it felt so good when I stopped!

Humble pie best served with RoccusRed and good company!
Let us know when you'll be back to stand in more cold water...