Fly Fishing Forum banner

'Burban Buckets

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Couldn't make it down to the Cape this weekend, so I settled for a Sunday evening mission for Bass in the boston 'burbs.

Armed with an ecclectic setup of an old 6wt rod and a beater 9wt floater, I hit the water. :rolleyes: Spotted fish as soon as I wet-waded in and missed a 3 pounder on my second cast with a real eel outfitted with a weedguard. Switched over to a fly of my own creation...basically a zonker with a weed guard, muddler head and audible eyes. Cast the fly back onto the shore in about 6" of water....twitch, twitch - Bang! After a couple of nice backflips a nice 3 pounder comes to hand. Noticed he had a fat crawdad in his gullet when I lipped him. Pretty cool...

Landed 4 more fish and lost many more nice ones when they ran into the lilypads during the fight. Zuddlers, reel eels and even a big 2/0 saltwater banger did the trick.

Next time I'll bring the 9wt rod for hauling them out of the slop.

Just wish that Chatham bass hit flies with the same reckless abandon as these babies.

BigD

See less See more
#2 ·
Dave- Nice report. I used to feel undergunned with a 6 wt for bass in cover. Ever since I switched to an 8 or 9 I've never really had any problems hauling them out of pads or timber.

I guess I'm not the only one using the real eel in freshwater, huh? Smallies love it too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.