Fly Fishing Forum banner

Q - Great Lakes Carp Tips

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Q,

Ran into this today and thought of you. Some good carp fly fishing tips for you. Traverse Bay is on the northern end of what we call the lower pennisula of Michigan. Actually is a part of northern lake michigan before it connects to Lake Huron in the Mackinac Strait. Very pretty country up there.

Most fisherman up there are concentrated on trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, musky, and walleye. This carp fishery is untouched in Lake Michigan and the other great lakes.

Has some good tips and flies you may be able to apply back east.

I hooked and landed a twenty pound carp in Lake michigan 18 years ago while fishing for summer run steelhead while fishing from the beach and my arm ached for a couple of days. Very strong fish.

Unfortunately here on the southern side of Lake michigan there are few shallow water locations to pursue these big boys in lake michigan.

Hal

http://detnews.com/2002/outdoors/0208/18/d10-559051.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome! That's a keeper! (the article, that is :hehe: )

This is the part I like: "The state record is 61 1/2 pounds." :eyecrazy:

Thanks PM!

Q

#3 ·
Come on out for some great lakes carp fly fishing I have noted it has been getting more popular the last few years.

Think the king salmon fly anglers use them for working out their arms before they hook up with the 20+ king salmon silver freight trains, which are now starting to ascend our rivers.

What a great time of the year it is now.

Salmon, steelhead, and Big Ten and High school football !!

Life is good weather is 80 degrees today and blue bird skies.

#5 ·
Thanks Adrian! I've seen that article before but didn't bookmark it. Lots of great info, including some unique fly recommendations!

Great Lakes? Hmmmmm. . . . Let's see. Chatham, MA is a four hour drive. Oswego, NY is a four hour drive. I could even make it a day trip! :D I guess I never really thought about it before, but it is a realistic option. Even though I have no idea of where to fish or what the fishing is like I couldn't possibly catch fewer fish than I did yesterday in Chatham :devil: .

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.