no flyfishing in Maine??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: no flyfishing in Maine???

tomd
08-16-2002, 04:04 PM
damn, nothing but deeeeeeeep water. the only place I marked fish was in 30+ft of water. after a week there,I never even got a nibble :( I'm bummed) Tom D

Dble Haul
08-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Tom- Sorry to hear about your lack of action. All of my experience in that state is from about Freeport south to the York/Wells area, and the fish are definitely there. If it makes you feel any better, my dad and friends who are very experienced and familiar with those waters have had a tough time lately too.

Don't let one bad week tarnish you view of Maine. The fishing can be red hot and at times comparable to anything you've seen on the Cape, but it also comes and goes like everything else.

Better luck next time! :)

AARON
08-19-2002, 12:20 PM
I am not sure where you were fishing, but the mouths of the southern coastal rivers have been HOT on the last couple of hours on the drop.... I find that fishing for Bass in Maine usually requires you being out there in the wee hours of the morning or right as the sun is going down and into darkeness. Next time you come up you should swing by the Tackle Shop in Portland Maine. Talk to either Dana or Keith and they will most certainly put you onto fish! :D

Eddie
08-19-2002, 01:09 PM
I have a friend who has family on Bremen Long Island(the Cooks) and he has never had much luck around there. He hasn't put in that much time. Next time you go, I'll see if I can get anything out of him.

AARON
08-21-2002, 07:00 AM
:tsk_tsk: Please don't spread the wrong impression about my back yard. Our coastal rivers and beaches provide some of the hottest Striper fishing on the fly through out the early summer and all the way until early 0ctober :hehe:! I would hate for people to gett he wrong impression about the State. Come on up and you can see for yourself....Try places like Higgins Beach, Popham Beach, The Presumscot River, and obviously the Kennebec. All of the beaches and most of the rivers allow for great access with out a boat. On top of that you can travel inland and go hit some nice native trout if you so please.. If you choose to believe that Maine has no coastal gamefishing potential you might be doing yourself a disservice!

Tight Lines,
Aaron L.

PS- We'll see you all on the Cape on Labor Day Weekend.

Lefty
08-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Tom,
Sounds like you were staying at Hermit I. I found the place nice but fishing slow. Some mackeral around, but that's it. Never got over to Popham Beach though. Did I guess right?

Lefty