Fly Fishing Forum banner

I am so siked

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jdesjardins 
#1 ·
36 years of fishing and now I decide to get involved in flyfishing :confused: Why did I not start sooner I will never know. Anyhow I am going to start with warmwater species, like panfish. I cant wait until I set my first hook into a fish with a fly or popper. Sorry if I'm rambling, but its all new to me.

#2 ·
Its never to late and warm water is a good place to start.

How is lake Otsego and the hall these days.

Last time there was in 1996 for a visit.

Did not look like it changed much from 30 years prior and I hope it never does.

You will find a lot of good FF people and information on this board to get you going in the right direction.

Have fun !

#3 ·
pmflyfisher said:

How is lake Otsego and the hall these days.
Too many boats, but I hear the fishing is awesome on the lake. I do a lot of fishing just below the dam behind the hospital. Caught a 18 inch largemouth bass out of there two weeks ago. Have been seeing very big fish in the pool but they wont bite tradition spin rod tackle. These fish average over 2 feet long. I think they are Walleye.

#8 ·
Robert

I've been flyfishing nearly 30 years and been lucky to fish some amazing places - fresh and salt but I never fished for smallmouth or any other warmwater fish before this year.

I am very impressed with smallmouth on the river - they remind me of mangrove snappers - really agressive and hard fighting.

My next target is big carp and there are a couple of trophy walleye lakes near me.

Anyone ever target walleye on fly? Must get working on those landlocked alewife immitations! From what I've read they swim deep during the day but come to the shallows at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.