Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need advice...Help

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  RTF 
#1 ·
I was given my great-great uncle's flyfishing outfit he used back in the 40's thru 60's to trout fish. It is a split bamboo rod, I think 3 piece and I have the reel that goes with it plus his collection of flies. I am very new to the sport of flyfishing. I have zippo expierence. My question is, should I be thinking of trying this outfit out or should it be put away. I get too many conflicting comments about this and need a straight answer. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I had the same situation and if I were you I would put it away and get a new outfit...then later ,after you have learned things, you can take it out now and then to use it...but only after you have mastered the basics....If you break it because of a learning curve you will never get over that.

#3 ·
You should take the rod to a reputable flyshop and have them appraise it for you. Just because it's bamboo doesn't mean it's worth $$$$....

If it's the performance that you're concerned with, I say you give it a shot. A 12" trout is not going to break a rod on you.

Better to use it and keep the tradition alive than bury it in the basement...:tsk_tsk:

The one thing I would reccomend is a new line/backing which the flyshop should be able to help with as well. You'll end up a better caster in the end as soft action rods require a bit more attention to casting mechanics. I got caught up in the fast-action craze but have gone back to my old 7 foot 4 weight which flexes right through the handle.

Best of luck,

BigDave

#4 ·
I'd seek out some more information on bamboo rods before trying to use it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that rods which have sat unused for years may be extremely fragile.

Of course I could be 100% wrong.

THere are several books on bamboo rods.

Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)
Can you tell what make is it...along the rod or on the butt cap. What kind of reel is it... also..if the flys include streamer... see if there are any of Carrie Stevens flys... look for an orange band on the usual black thread at the hook eye. You could have some of her original streamers...which you SHOULD not use.

#6 ·
There's good advise above - once you get better at this thing, you can use your Grandad's outfit for "special times".

Play it like a Stratahoovious violin. That gear is worth more than any appraiser will give you - it's like your carrying your Grandad's wagic wand.

I wear my Dad's hunting coat occasionally - opening day, Christams, T-giving. That coat has killed more ducks than I've seen, I'm just hoping some of it wears off on me! ;)

good luck

#7 ·
All good advice. It being a three piece rod catches my attention.
I think you would have a better time learning on inexpensive modern gear.
Get the rod apraised by a knowledgable bamboo guy. If only because it would be fun to know more about the rod. If it is not a super collectors item, fish it. It is not worth much sitting in the tube.

#8 ·
So Many questions ??

Thanks for all of the replies. I feel I owe you some pics of the gear I have. So lets see if I can do this.
BTW on the rod handle there is a decal, but worn. I think it says Monty, then followed by two letters Gu ??? What I meant about the three pieces is that it came with two tips one longer then the other.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
The Reel looks like the old reliable...the Plueger medalist..I spelled it wrong I think. and the rod looks like a Montagne...again an old mass produced rod. I think the rod would be on little collectable value to a collector so the value may be minimal...for now...but not to you since it is a family treasure... the reel is very common ...but classic in that it was one of the first mass produced fly reels and used by the pioneers in saltwaterfishing..like Joe Brooks...my father had a plueger which I have and treasure. Hardy dominated the highend market in those days since the English dominated the sport in the early days. Take some rubbing alcohol and rub it on the rod grip and it will clean up the encrusted dirt...make the grip look somewhat like new. Von hoff and his son also produced high end salmon reels.

#12 ·
I think the rod is a Montegue(misspelled). It is a fine rod for fishing. The two tips of unequal lenth indicates that one was broken. Use the longer of the two. You will want to get a new line. The Cortland 444 Double Taper in the "Peach" color is nice on bamboo.
Enjoy it the way your GG Uncle did.

#13 · (Edited)
Montague Rod, mass produced, have it appraised nonetheless.
Pflueger 1494 1/2 standard right/left hand, convertible retrieve.
Striblue's right - put it away until you get the basics down and are comfortable with them.
P.S. - Eddie's right about the unequal length tips and line. Did this outfit come with anything like the original line box or spool to identify the size of the line on the reel??? to help you convert to today's size categories??? You may have a three letter designator indicating line size and configuration, and you don't want to overpower the rod with a new incorrect line size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.