Two good Summer Books [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Two good Summer Books

striblue
08-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Just finished two books I would highly recommend for the rest of the summer... the first is a Murder mystery set in Chatham... a serial killer is on the loose and he has hit three times..once at Hardings Beach ,the second at the Light House and the third at the Bridge at Bridge street... the victim on that one was a flyfisherman no less . You would recognize the locals... Shirley's Diner is Larry's PX, the Southwester is the Northeaster, etc, etc... good description of the court process as well and It just came out last week..."Absolute Certainty" by Rose Conors.......... The second is one you can't put down called , "A Crew Of One"... the tales of a solitary Marlin fisherman out of Maryland, by Carlos Bentos. Great education on Marlin fishing, Whites, Blues and Swordfish. Don't forget to check out any of Philip Craig mysterys set in Marthas Vinyard... he is a retire Boston Cop who loves to Fish for Blues around the Vinyard and the books have recipies in them as well... He writes one a season and has about 10 already during the last 10 years. Others to consider are Benchleys new book called "Shark Trouble", also "The Beach House" another Mystery. And "Close to Shore" a history of the 1916 shark attacks off of New Jersey....

Lefty
08-13-2002, 10:31 AM
John,
I'm reading Lee Wulff's memoirs called: "Bush Pilot Angler" ISBN: 089272480

Excellent stories from the early 20th century in Newfoundland.
Also I found John Gerach's book "Standing In A River Waving A Stick" in a used book store in Maine for $3.80. I've read it before but like his other books I can reread them over and over. 2 good reads for me.

striblue
08-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Terry...got your e-mail and sent back answer...did not have one...when will you be staying at CAC.

FredA
08-14-2002, 09:10 PM
John,
Surprise, surprise, I came across several of the books you had mentioned Saturday at Bubba's bookstore in the local mall. Picked up Absolute Certainty for the family cruise. Also borrowed The Hungry Ocean and Expedition Whydah from my cousin. Think I'll be all set for the week.

FredA
08-26-2002, 12:40 PM
With all the fog and rain last week going through the inside passage I managed to get through a couple of books. I'll second Johns' review of "Absolute Certainty" - good summer read. Thought I had it figured out in quick order and spent the rest of the book looking for alternate suspects. Won't tell you if I was right or wrong early. I'll be checking my backside when fishing at the light in the pre-dawn hours this fall.

Second book was "Hungry Ocean" by Linda Greenlaw. Excellent journal of swordfishing the Grand Banks.