Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rocky Gore-Tex socks

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dana 
#1 ·
don'tcha hate breathable waders? remember when we all wore neoprene all the time and we just kinda felt damp all over all the time? With breathables we feel nice and dry and comfy all the time--except for our feet! Those neoprene booties don't breathe, and there's nothing worse than that damp, clammy "soupy" feet feeling that goes along with a few hours in breathables.

Well, an expensive ($80 CDN!:eek: ) but great solution is breathable socks. Rocky makes the Gore-Tex ones (there are other knock-offs around that are cheaper, too) and they really work. Remember the revelation the first time you used breathable waders ("wow, I can be this comfortable?!")--I got the same thing again when I tried these socks. I can honestly say that they are the best piece of "tackle" I've purchased in many years.

#2 ·
Holy Socks

Thats incredible you can buy a pair of breathable waders at Wal Mart for $50 US I think the price of breathable socks will come down real fast if they catch on.
I always have the thought when slogging around for a few hours of bush whacking that my waders are leaking water into my feet. It hasn't ever been anything more than what you are saying these socks will cure. I guess I better head down to the local shop and see how much they want for a pair on this side of the Border.

#3 ·
Oh yeah, the Rocky Gore-tex socks. Been using them for years for humping the boonies and I can speak first person as to their effectiveness - they're great. Bought mine from Brigade Quartermasters - a military gear supplier - for about $40 US. They have a web address; search by their name. Be sure to wear synthetic poly based socks to wick the moisture away, wool is warm but doesn't wick as well IMHO.

Living in the PNW, Gore-Tex is a must have. Even head wear, as in the Seattle Sombrero (sp) by OP. Seems I have a small fortune tied up in such technical-wear, which includes tights.:eek:

ws

#4 ·
the "wicking" socks are really important!

forgot to mention that--thanks watersprite!

basically, you put on your poly socks, then your gore-tex socks over them, then into your waders. the gore-tex socks allow the moisture wicked up by your poly socks to escape, but not to come back in again. the effect is that the inside of your wader feet are damp (just like they were before) but your feet are dry.

I wish I had these last year on the Dean. It was really hot and we do a lot of hiking. After a few days of this my wader feet in both sets of breathables were saturated; then of course the weather moved in and the whole camp stayed damp for the rest of the trip. I couldn't get my wader feet dry, so every day I was walking around with wet feet. If I had these gore-tex socks then I would have been comfortable no matter how wet the neoprene booties were.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.