North Monomoy-8/8 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Monomoy-8/8

striblue
08-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Had one of the best days today on North Monomoy without hooking up...Met Jeff Borkowski at the 8 am shuttle and met a guy from Nwe Jersey named Rich who came with us to the west crib...talked about the forum and be looking for the "Jersy Kid". Early incoming ,perfect day...sun... started blind casting in holes up in the west crib and Jeff landed 2 while Rich got three...one a good high 20 inches... saw fish moving in and out of the holes... worked our way back up the crib and saw more fish than ever... pods of 5 to 10 and solitary monsters... had a lot of shots ...cast a perfect crab..my crab apple to a 40 incher..it must have been around that... came right up to me following the crab at a slow twitch..saw me even as I bent down with my chin in the water and took off... Rich calls that there is one coming behind me , another big one but it is moving with the current and I can't make a good presentation to control the fly.. we must have seen a couple hundred today...This continues over and over...we are now about 200 yards apart and Jeff and Rich had similar stories ...lots of fish with the usual Monomoy attitude... all kinds of retreives...fast ,slow, drift... current really moving and fish slowly crusing.... I will have a ladder with me on Saturday since Jeff and I will be going with Todd Murphy tomorrow off shore... anyway, even without hooking up It was a blast.

juro
08-08-2002, 07:15 PM
Sounds like fun! I had a hunch it would be good based on variables I discussed w/ Jeff the other day on the phone.

Have you tried south as well? Under the conditions, it should be even better. ;)

striblue
08-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Yes...I agree... I will try South on Saturday...based on the tide differences.

FredA
08-08-2002, 08:36 PM
John,
Clean out your pm box. Havn't been to Monomoy yet this year, maybe Saturday though I would have preferred a weekday with a later am low.