Weekend Fishing and other musings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekend Fishing and other musings

FredA
08-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Tides and weather pattern are looking pretty good for us weekend warriors. I'm thinking a yak ride to some sand pile might be warranted. Anybody else havin similar thoughts.

Speaking of yaks, when flyfishing from one how do you keep in contact with your fly, without the pull of current? Havn't worked at it much. Casting's not a problem but I'll be damned if can keep some feel for the fly.

So much for musings, family just walked in and....

juro
08-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Personally I'd use the yak for mobility and stand up to cast, but that's me. JimW and others flyfish from the yaks regularly and could offer some insights I'm sure...

FredA
08-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Juro,
I agree, but there are times. Last weekend I put the yak on the roof with the intent of using it on the bayside. When I got to the beach I opted not to use it. It was FAC and a perfect morning for chaseing breaking fish. Wading, I had breaking fish around me, but they were small. Less than a hundred yards out much more substantial fish were splashing around. Spent the day thinking shoulda, woulda, coulda.

juro
08-07-2002, 08:42 AM
Makes sense! Can anyone say "Nantucket Sleigh Ride?" ;)

jfbasser
08-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I was thinking of taking a slow sleigh ride early Sunday am. I generally use my yak for transportation and then stand to cast. Occasionally if a river is too munked up along the shore then casting from the yak is in order. If you get bit keep the rod pointing towards the bow at all costs!