The past [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The past

KerryS
08-05-2002, 12:22 PM
While browsing Amazon.com a few weeks ago I came across Zane Grey’s book Tales of Freshwater Fishing. I had read the book years ago but decided I would like to read it again and purchased it for my library. Friday night I read the chapter on Deer Creek. Saturday morning I had to head for the Stilly. I fished the main river below Deer Creek and only managed a couple of sea run cutthroat. While walking back up the river to leave I ran into George McCloud. George must be in his eighties now and has fished the Stilly all his life. I listen to his fishing stories of Deer Creek and the Stillaguamish River for about an hour. Man, I wish I could have fished the river back in Grey’s time or even joined George during his youth. On my way home, I decided to take the Lake Cavanaugh road home. This road follows Deer Creek for a ways and then cuts through the mountains to Lake Cavanaugh. I am sure it follows some to the same route that Grey had taken on his first visit to Deer Creek. I tried to imagine the forest the way he describe it. Sad they cut most of it down. Today there has been a lot of work to re-forest the area above Deer Creek. I hope the efforts will continue.
What a great morning. I think I came as close to living the past as one could without being there.

NrthFrk16
08-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Kerry-
Great post....isnt cool to see the old pictures of Deer Creek in Grey's chapter on her?? Very cool...a must have book!!!

Speaking of the Stilly...see 'ya all later!! :razz:

juro
08-05-2002, 12:58 PM
A morning to remember, that's for sure. I consider myself very lucky to have had over a decade in Washington state's steelhead country. If you ever happen to forget just how good you've got it, try leaving it. :(

Leland Miyawaki
08-05-2002, 01:39 PM
Last night, I was on the phone with my Neah Bay/Sekiu guide friend, Roy Morris, arranging a topwater coho trip I'm supposed to guide with him. Anyway, he told me that George caught and released a 12lb Deer Creek fish last week.

I remember a night last year, that preceeded the great coho day Brian and I had in Sekiu when we had dinner with George at Roy's place in Sekiu. His fishing stories of he and his dad along with his Eddie Bauer stories and his WWII B-17 stories were priceless.

Leland.

flytyer
08-05-2002, 08:41 PM
I just spoke to George on Saturday evening on the gravel bar in front of his cabin. He is 81 years young now and told me he has been fishing for Deer Creek fish since he was 8 years old. By the way, the big wild fish (George told me it was 15 pounds) spoken of in another post was caught on a dry fly. He also told me this is only the second or third Deer Creek fish he has ever caught of this size and he knows of only a few others that have been larger than 10 pounds in all of the 70+ years he has fished for them.