Hi-Tie Technique? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hi-Tie Technique?

BigDave
08-01-2002, 04:03 PM
I purchased a bunch of Puglisi EZ Fibre earlier this summer which I mistakenly intended to use for Reel Eel and Clouser-style patterns. Those who have tried tying these patterns with EZ Fibre have probably discovered (as I now have) that the stuff just doesn't work for this application. I now have an impressive aresenal of super hair, so problem solved.

Thing is - I now have a ton of EZ Fibre sitting on my tying desk. I know that this stuff must have some application for tying baitfish patterns but haven't' quite figured it out yet.

Can anyone provide some direction on how to use this material properly? I have heard of Hi-Tie techniques but don't really know what this means....is this when you fold the material back on itself and lash down in the middle?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,

BigDave

Adrian
08-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Dave

You have the general idea. Apply a thin hank of EP fibres, fold and lash down. Do this on top and bottom of the shan working your way up to the eye. When you reach the hook eye, comb out all the fibres with a small hair brush and trim top and bottom to get the desired profile. Add eyes atc....

You can mix different colors and also add sparkle flash at strategic points. Watching EP at tie at a couple of shows makes it look deceptively easy. He also applies a spot of superglue on each of the windings for strength. Different amounts of material, density of packing etc. all influence the character of the final outcome. You can also use other materials like Bozo Hair, Yak Hair etc.

striblue
08-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Adrian says it all... also..it's not hy-tie you are after..but similar..only you also tye on the bottom and as you approach the hook eye..a little on the sides as well.

BigDave
08-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Will give it a shot this weekend.

-BigD

shadfreak
08-02-2002, 06:58 AM
The biggest hurtle that you will run into is trying to tie in too much material at a time. I would recomend that you start with a thin piece say match stick thickness and then divide it in half again. EP style is almost like cooking prep. He creates most of the pieces that he is going to use and sets them aside taking them as needed.
good luck larry