Haven't tried a kayak yet . . . [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Haven't tried a kayak yet . . .

07-31-2002, 06:27 PM
but I've been considering it for some time now. I was thinking about renting one to see how I like it. Can a reasonably well coordinated, experienced rower just hop in and give it a try, or would I be better off taking lessons?

07-31-2002, 07:25 PM
It's sorta' like your first night HALO (high altitude low opening) parachute jump...but different!
You step out'a the door and into the dark...a leap of faith...
Only this time you're in a tupperwear boat and you're hangin' on to a paddle...up-side-down and low on air!
If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger!
Forget the lessons...come to the FarSide (of the Canal)...
Just do it!
Trust me...

08-07-2002, 07:29 PM
I am in my 50's and overweight...Have no problem paddling a Pungo. Just get a life jacket that will not ride up onto your face if you happen to capsize..The Pungo is as stable as a wide canoe.

08-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by jfbasser
. . . if you happen to capsize.

Thanks for the vote of confidence jf!

It'll probably be more like "when" I capsize! :hehe:

08-09-2002, 06:34 AM
Try and hook up with Adrian he's from your area and has a sit on top yak. He'll be able to show you the ropes. Fishhawk

08-10-2002, 08:28 AM
I hope to try both the "sit on top" and "sit inside" models to see which type I prefer.

Do they make a "stand on top" model that you can push with a pole? I'll take that one!

08-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Hey Quentin

Ant time you want to hook up!

If you get a demo model maybe we can find a lake with loads of overgrown bucketmouths where gas powered craft are not allowed! You can try my SOT (Tarpon). Ask Striblue about the Tribalance - you can stand up in one of those!

08-14-2002, 03:14 PM
There are definitely some good reasons to look at SOT's. This is a Tarpon doing what Tarpons do I guess. I did land a SINK here a few times but only after watching the water carefully for a while each time and picking my moment. If you hook up with Adrian you guys should give me a call. I have 2 kayaks so you can check out a Tarpon and also a more traditional sort of sea kayak if you'd care to.

This is my 16 yr old son doing (blowing) a beach landing in Maine. We got out later in the afternoon and he had a blast following a school of mackeral with me. A couple of somethings very big and fast herding and slashing through them for close to 2 hrs provided great entertainment.

08-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Jim, definitely looks like a young mans game - those bruises just take way too long to heal these days :rolleyes:

08-14-2002, 08:38 PM

You must have had the camera out already to get that shot! Was carnage imminent? :devil:

08-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Yeah, had the camera out, we'd been practising beach launches and landings for a while. I'm sure the sight of the camera contributed to that crash, usual 16 yr old mentality. The only casualty was a slight bash in the shins I got retrieving the boat after it squirted away from him.