Stealth on the Flats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stealth on the Flats

FishHawk
07-31-2002, 05:51 AM
Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong on the flats, could it be the color of my shirt which is sky blue? Or could it be the sent of my sunblock? Any thoughts or suggestions? I have seen guys on the flats with bright yellow and white shirts fishing the flats for bonefish on tv and they are catching fish.
FishHawk:smokin:

artb
07-31-2002, 06:35 AM
:chuckle: Come on Fishhawk you not catching fish? I find that hard to believe.
I find that keeping low as you can, and try not to cast a shadow near the fish, or the direction that you expect them. Don't move, or at least move very slowly, try to be down tide to them. Good Luck, if you need it.
:)

Adrian
07-31-2002, 09:39 AM
Bill

I've spent many more days on the bonefish flats than I have for stripers and there are definitely some differences but in either case my philosophy is to approach shallow water sight fishing the way a sniper goes about his business - your goal is 'silent and invisible'.

I really have no idea what fish can or cannot see or hear but the more variables I can eliminate the better. That means moving quietly, wearing colors which match the environment - the sky looks very bright from under the water, possibly not flourescent mango but a dark shirt could appear pretty startling. Don't forget if your standing still with the water moving past you there is potential for 'noise' - e.g. flapping pants legs. Sound travels very well under water and anything unusual could be enough to make a fish wary.

Someone once said presentation is everything. Occaisionally fish will pounce on a fly hitting the surface nearby but, for me at least, it generally has the opposite effect. Try to set things up so that the first thing your target notices is the fly doing an impression of a sandeel, crab etc. Also, angles can make for difficult drag situations when the current is really motoring.

My signature sums up the final thought - the largest fish of the day is often the one that sneaks up behind you coming from the 'wrong' direction ;)

juro
07-31-2002, 09:58 AM
Fishhawk -

There is no single answer, but there may be some insight to offer - what exactly is the situation and the problem you are encoutering (e.g. what are you and the fish doing)?

Penguin
07-31-2002, 07:11 PM
...I just talked to a certain vacationing fire fighter...He was at a Dennis beach swimming with his little ones (and a few hundred other innocent bystanders) when he noticed a school of striped bass beach goers passing through the area...
Cruisin' and probably knoshin' on spooked sand eels kicked up by the unsuspecting/unstealth bathers.
Big fish with teeny weeny brains "using" humans to kick up a quick snack...
Go figure!?

But when you're on the flatzz...better make sure your colour coordinated ascot is on straight!

FishHawk
08-01-2002, 06:07 AM
Juro and Art, I am on the flats with a friend and he's catching the fish and I am not. I think I might have answered my own question. It could be my retrive or presentation. I have come close but no cigar several times.

Adrian , you mentioned wanting to fish the Hoosey TMA. I fish it all the time and would like to hook up with you in late Sept. for the BWO hatch. If you have never fished it I can show you around.
FishHawk

juro
08-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Then the answer is simple... he's your friend, ask him! :devil:

Good luck debugging your technique buddy.

Adrian
08-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Bill

I will look forward to that!

Also, you may want to look real close and make sure your friend isn't secretly slipping pogy oil soaked dog biscuits into the water :devil:

striblue
08-01-2002, 09:09 AM
There is no magic answer... I have worn all colors of shirts..but I will usually wear a light color when I know I will be doing that... I have not caught as many as Juro..but he really puts the time in on sight fishing. Tom Thomas...that's the only way he shore fishes... he hates to blind cast... I have no problem blind casting... but I think presentation is the key...but also your pattern...look around... I sometimes think that the shrimp or crab may get geater attention than the eel...but the eel..with the right colors is just as effective... I will end up changing flys and retreves...but you can only hope that you see enough fish to allow you the opportunity to try different things.

Roop
08-01-2002, 09:45 AM
I think it's where you're fishing as well.

Monomoy with more fishermen and warmer water makes the fish more selective in my opinion.

Conversely, the Bay side flats with less pressure and cooler water temperatures has more agressive fish that are less selective as to what your fly is.

Blue sky, blue shirt.

I would only wear oarnge/ coral if I was fishing at sunset ;)

steelheadmike
08-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Fishing for Trout on the Hoosie in Sept? Sinners! What about the Bird Sanctuary at the mouth in Sept? Although I used to fish the Hoosie almost daily for trout it can be a fantastic time. I always like fishing the Alder Fly hatch ( I think it should be on by now ). If you know where the tracks are and the dirt road that parallels it look for a feild of wild Strawberries and walk in there. Memory tells me there is quite a hole there that I have caught some MONSTER Bow's in a few years back.;)

BigDave
08-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Anyone going to be fishing Chatham this Saturday 8/3? I'll be bringing Talented Willie down for his 2nd day ever on the Flats :)

The child has yet to get the Monomoy skunk off :devil:

The weather report looks questionable at this point :confused: Would anyone be interested in suggesting some blind-casting areas around North in case of rain? Feel free to PM me. I'd be willing to share my limited knowledge of SB in return...

See ya out there,

BigD

Adrian
08-01-2002, 11:48 AM
I think it says something about the greatness of a river when you're spoiled for choice as to which end of it to fish! There are other examples along our coast I know, but it's seriously cool to have such a resource right on your doorstep! :D

I got my bird sanctuary sticker but need to get back down there to pick up the elusive key which gives you access to parking overnight ;)

Also picked up Roleez moon wheels for the yak which means I can now launch at the sanctuary at any stage of the tide rather than make the 45 min paddle down from Devon boat ramp.