7/29 RI Report - Napatree & Weekapaug [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 7/29 RI Report - Napatree & Weekapaug

Quentin
07-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Well, I decided to try Rhode Island since I hadn't been fishing there yet this year. I rolled in to Watch Hill just before sunrise and fished the beach at Napatree. Plenty of schoolies at sunrise but nothing big. Most clobbered a crease fly (thanks GregO :D ) Lots of fun on top!

I left Watch Hill at around 8:00 and headed to Weekapaug. I arrived just as the current started to flow in and saw several small stripers and one nice one in the breachway but couldn't get more than a follow. Loads of very small bait (~ 1") plus the usual assortment of silversides and other stuff and a few juvie pogies. After the fog burned off I took a ride to Quonny and found lots of muck in the water so I didn't stay long. I spent the afternoon back at Weekapaug and Napatree but didn't catch any more fish. I couldn't even catch a scup, and even the bait dunkers were getting skunked. Crabbers were doing ok though! Oh well, it was a beautiful day so I can't complain.

Q

Dble Haul
07-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Yo, Q...

Word from a reliable source tells me that Charlestown Breachway was pretty good today at dusk. The West Wall treated me pretty well a few weeks back, and I'm itching to get back. Sometime soon I hope.

Glad you had some early action. :)

Quentin
07-29-2002, 09:39 PM
Figures! :rolleyes: Actually, I was out of there before dusk anyway. I almost went to the west wall today but didn't make it that far. I'll definitely be on the wall when (if) the bonito show up there!

Q