Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham 7/22-7/23

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
After seeing the mother of all pods w/Juro about 10 minutes into our day on Sunday, I figured I was in for a few spectacular days of with improving tides on Monday and Tuesday.

Wrong.

Back out to North on Monday with a midday high tide and weather reports for clear conditions with 15mph winds. Really hoping to bump into the mother of all pods again. Instead I bumped into a pea soup fog which shut down the visibility for the last couple hours of the flood. Saw lots of singles, caught one legal, but the fish were not in numbers as before. Probably saw a third as many as spotted on Sunday.

Bumped into fellow gluttons-for-punishment StriBlue and Dble Haul on the RipRyder Monday morning. Wind blowing steady at 30mph and primarily overcast conditions. Made a bid for SB since Keith wanted everyone back by 1. Caught one bass under 30" blind casting and hooked a monster blue which came unbuttoned in a hurry. Spotted only 2 fish for the day while walking back to the pickup.

How did you guys fare over at North?

-BigDave

See less See more
#2 ·
Dave- Nice meeting you on the shuttle. Your not kidding when you call the three of us "gluttons for punishment". My introduction to North Monomoy was harsh....same wind that you spoke of, and awful sight fishing conditions. We went directly to the crib and in all our time of sighting, we saw one legal that followed my fly to my feet (they can't see either!) and turned away to give John a broadside view. John was kind enough to show me and my wife around the island, and I look forward to getting back there sooner than later for some better conditions.

There were probably pods of fish only 25 feet away, but we couldn't see them. :rolleyes: Glad to hear you had a bit of action.

#3 ·
......so there I was ...on the 18th hole and the match was tied with this 8 handycapper..I am a 10,,, I see that the hole is a narrow long par four, so I take my 1 iron trying to pump one down the middle..not looking for distance.. I hit it about 200 down the right side..but in the farway...he takes his driver after trying a little Walter Hagan gamesmenship on me by saying he thinks my swing has changed as we played...anyway he hits it directly into the woods.... but further than mine... I hit a 5 iron ,just trying to keep it in play for a chip on.... he trys hitting out but only hits it further in the woods and yells over that he conceeds the hole... I walk up to the green...with tears in my eyes...cinderela story...I can hear the crowds in my mind, I tip my hat ...smile and head to the 19th to check my score card and wait for my opponent....... oh......ah...sorry... I was suppose to give a fishing report... but on second thought this was better don't you think.... Mark and I did have a nice time together though....good to see big dave.

#4 ·
Hey Mark,

Good meeting you as well. Hopefully we can hook up sometime when the weather is more hospitable. Post up when you're coming up again as I will try to fish every weekend through September.

John,

Lay off the british open, my friend!

BigD

#5 ·
Looks like Striblue has to go to Probate Court for another name change petition (considering it's universally accepted that only one member of the Holy Trinity, Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman or Tiger Woods are the only spirits or beings capable of striking a golf ball with a one-iron, and Stri AIN'T any of the last three - :hehe: ) I bow in reverence to you, O Kind and Generous One :smokin:

BigDave - he's not extremely long off the tee; doesn't need to be, 'cuz he sure is consistently straight. Visions of the British Open are allowed.

(In this daydream, the roles of Sarazen, Hagen, Snead and Demaret are played by...)

Nice daydream, I think.

#7 ·
Believe it or not I actually quit golf (temporarilly) and smoking this year but I only occaisionally dream about smoking. It's wierd, every now and again I get this vivid dream that I started smoking again and feel real bad. Then I wake up and ...............:rolleyes:

#8 ·
I had quit smoking for about four years and had the same, remorseful, recurring dreams. And I would always be smoking Lucky Strikes in these dreams, which I had smoked in my younger days. A couple of times the kids would drive me over the edge and I'd go down to the corner store and buy a pack of Lucky's. I'd walk out of the store and throw them in the trash without even opening, but then....I didn't toss them one night and thats where we are today. Just had a physical and got a prescription for the Wellibruten. Targeting quiting after the family cruise in August.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.