Best Local Waters? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Best Local Waters?

flyfishingguru
07-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Hi all,
I am doing a bit of research and would really appreciate any help at all you guys can give me.
Would anyone with a spare couple of minutes please provide me with information on your best local or nearby rivers/streams, along with the area (place and state) that they are in and any useful tips you have.
Many thanks
Chris Cook
Flyfishingguru

Moonlight
07-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Boy Chris you better hurry on this one the Russell Fjoird is pushing a giant wall of glaical morane that is about to divert a full sized glaical river and a goodly amount of saltwater down the Old Situk! This will for all practical purposes bring all the great steelheading and trout fishing that has been so popular with the many Europeans that have been flocking to the Yakutat area the last 15 years to a hasty and sudden END.
But just in case it does not happen all you need to do is fly to Alaska and get to Yakutat there is an airport serviced by major airlines, there are Guides and outfitters that you will find aplenty who will take you to the little Situk and avail you of its prolific runs of King salmon in Summer and Coho in the Fall as well as Steelhead in the Fall, winter (weather permitting ),and spring. There also are beautiful resident rainbows up to 7#. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the sockeyes which on a given year are the thickest of all the runs. But then there are the Dolly Vardens and the Sea Run Cutthroatts too.
The Glaicer at Yakutat is the only one in the world that the talking heads say is growing and its doing so in grand style a shame that this once local fishery that has been set down upon so heavily by guided interest is about to come to an end but maybe the gods are not dead!!!!

fredaevans
07-23-2002, 09:01 AM
in Southern Oregon. River, from mouth to Dam about 35 miles above Medford is 155 miles long (additional 30-40 miles of trout water above this point. The top 60 miles of river has a considerable amount of 'public access' the rest is easily done via drift boat.

About 30 miles below Grants Pass (30 miles down stream of Medford) you get into the Wild and Scenic portion of the river that is only accessable by raft.

The spring run of King Salmon has been averaging over 33,000 fish by count, the Fall run of Kings is probably a third of this amount. Two major runs of steelhead (and a smaller distinct late summer/early winter fish) and an additional run of thousands of what are called "half pounders" that come up about half way up the river to the town of Agness (Illinois River-think I've blowen the spelling there). The 1/2 pounders are the fish you read about in Zane Gray's books.

Good resident trout fishery in most of the river .... and the best news of all is the entire area has a very low population so fishing pressure (one MAJOR exception to this) is very light. Half the time I'm on the river, I'm surprised to see more than a few people; and they tend to congregate in just a few places. Old adage taught to me by a Canadian Park Ranger was that most people won't go more than 15 minutes walk from their car; better yet, stay in sight of the front bumper. Very true here, e. g. the "congregation spots."

Fishing water varies all over the map so you can fish fast, slow, wide, etc., water, single hander, 2-handers, etc. Best yet, is a considerable amount of 'good water' is within 30 minutes of your front door. Up early, fish till 7:45am at your desk by 8:30am in the summer.

Have copies of a pretty darn accurate map of the upper river; if you'd like a copy shoot me an e mail with your address and I'll post you one.

Oh, how do you get there? Three major airlines service Medford from Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Arizona and Los Angles. Landing fleight path goes over the top of some of the best summer run steelhead water (noted above) so look down as you land and drull.
fae

juro
07-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Chris,

Before I divulge, I am curious about the intent of your "research".

How do you plan to use this information?

pmflyfisher
07-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Hopefully it will be on a web site I can access and know all of your best spots for my future NA FF trips which will exclude great lake destinations. :devil:

gordonh
07-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Commercial fishing regulations require reporting the location of catches, in contrast to your request for information.

Amazingly here in New England there is some remarkably good fishing for cod and other groundfish more than 30 miles inland! (at least according to these reports).

extmtbiker
07-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey, I am not sure of any in england but in oregon there are lots like the deschutes river or the crooked river or the metolius. I f u are ever in oregon try those. Sorry I could not help.Yahoo might be able to help you there pretty good with info on fishing places.

Geoff

Colston
07-24-2002, 11:00 AM
I am located in Virginia which has topnotch Smallmouth streams (James, New, Rappahannock, Shenandoah rivers come to mind.) Our striped bass fishery in the Potomac and the rivers mentioned above, as well as the Chesapeake Bay, is great.)
For more Virginia info, post a query on at www.VAflyfish. It is a great site for info on the entire state.:smokin:

pmflyfisher
07-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Colston,

Yes I drove through those areas on my return trip from NJ after the DC visit. Went down the Blue Ridge Highway and then cut over through VA to WV. Did look like some nice smallmouth and trout rivers there. Had a van full of family with no fly rods though and no time to stop and fish. Just some quick sight seeing.

Love to get back there some day for some FF.

Colston
07-24-2002, 12:35 PM
I didn't mention trout streams because our trout fishery is not in the same league with our smallmouth and striper fisheries. We have a couple of good streams for big browns but generally, our brown and rainbow fishery is all stocker. If you aren't worried about catching wallhangers, we have more than 2000 miles of excellent brook trout water, most of it in state or federal parks or forests.
Come on back sometime.

watersprite
07-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Usually I don't mind divulging such info unless I'm trying to protect a sensitive fishery, yet my spider-senses say something isn't as it seems here. I, too, am hesitant to provide the info you seek without some sort of clarification as to your purpose. If you want more then you will have to give more.:tsk_tsk:

ws

FlyFishAR
07-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Exactly Juro.....I was just hinking I get paid $400 a day for that sort of info ;)

John

pmflyfisher
07-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Yep you won' t get any home water trade secrets from me on the net or email.

Oral only and to only those I trust.:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

flyfishingguru
07-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Hi all and many thanks for your reply.
Basically I am attempting (with an emphasis on attempting) to list all the good fishing waters from around the world. I hear sighs of 'you're crazy' and yes, you are right.:eyecrazy:
As I live in England I am kinda stuck as to sourcing information regarding good trout fishing streams, which is why I am appealing to you guys who have some local knowledge. Sorry for the delay in replying to your messages but the time differences makes things kinda hard.
Anyway, I am working on collecting info on rivers in Australia, America, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, UK etc etc at the moment so all info you provide is very much appreciated and important to me.

I hope this goes some way to explaining why I started this thread

Many thanks

Chris Cook

juro
07-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Actually, it's obvious that you are collecting the info - the question was for what purpose?

FlyFishAR
07-24-2002, 08:56 PM
We probably have a panel of some of the best fishers from around the world represented in this forum at one time or another. If your question is just what the best rivers are that should be relatively easy to obtain. Maybe the question needs to be a littel better refined though. We have some of the best trout fishing in the world here. The last two brown trout world records came from Arkansas. But we also have a fair small mouth bass fishery, and the catfish snagging is to die for.

What are the species, technique, and/or method of fishing you are looking for? The fly fishing here is great, but the spey fishing is pretty crummy. We have trout but no salmon or steelhead, and to date not a single snakehead.

I certianly don't mind helping you build a data base, if you can refine your purpose and your questions. Maybe an online search is in order first?

John

pmflyfisher
07-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Chris,

Here is a good book listing the top 100 trout streams in the US.

I was looking in at the local book store last week. It is quite accurate. I was pleased to see my favorite great lakes states trout streams had 10 in the 100 rivers which was the top region with the most quality rivers listed. Plus there were others in this region they did not list (thank god) which are just as good or better than some of the ones listed.

This would be a good cheap book for your research done by a reputable US trout conservation organization Trout Unlimited.

Hope this helps, doubt if many of the anglers on the board will give out their favorite home waters other than the Rouge River anglers who are so removed from civilazation and lonely, they are begging for more serious fly fisherman in that area to fish with.

Come on over to the US, based on what I have seen in my travels to other areas of the world, there is no continent that can touch the US for fishing period of all types.

God bless american fishing !

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/156044830X/104-8128715-3828718

flyfishingguru
07-25-2002, 03:24 AM
Sorry I didn't answer the question as such.
Basically, I have decided there are too many people coming on my local forum saying I am planning a trip to whatever state or country and asking what rivers are the best in that area and never getting a reply and so I decided to attempt to set up a web page with all this info on it. The web page is non profit making although there is an online shop it raises money for future improvements to the site and funds competitions held on the site. The water listings will be in no way connected to this and so will also be non profit making.
I know you may be suspicious of a newbie coming onto the forums and aksing for local advice on rivers but all information you can provide is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris Cook

juro
07-25-2002, 06:17 AM
Chris -

Tell you what, why don't you just save everyone a lot of trouble and refer all those people to this forum, there are many people here who are willing and able to help here already. Here's the link:

http://flyfishingforum.com/flytalk

Oh yeah, you know that already!

Good luck with your commercial non-profit (?) venture.

flyfishingguru
07-25-2002, 07:52 AM
I believe it is better to have something concrete like a listings so people can see what possibilities are available to them. By getting info from loads of differnt places I will hopefully get good coverage so people have a lot to choose from.

And yes the site is non-profit making although it has a commercial side to it which is separate to the water listings.

Thanks to pmflyfisher for the amazon link - it looks great.

Many thanks

Chris

BigDave
07-25-2002, 08:48 AM
What ever happened to the gratification of discovering and understanding a fishery through research, trial and error?

IMHO - doing your own homework before a trip makes it all the more rewarding when that first fish comes tight. Plus, you learn something about your surroundings and the environment.

Seems only fair that if you want the inside scoop right off the bat, you should keep the people who have done their homework in business and hire a guide.

I'm with pmflyfisher - word of mouth only to someone I can trust.

My .02

BigDave

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :razz: :confused: :hehe: :rolleyes: :smokin:

flyfishingguru
07-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Ia always hire a guide when I fish a foreign water such as when I fished Montana, Wyoming and Idaho last year but I like to work out what rivers I'd like to fish before hand rather than relying totally on a guide's recommendations.

Thanks

Chris

juro
07-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Wow - that's quite an extensive list of products to pay for a FREE geocities website!

I am afraid I will not be contributing for the following reasons:

1) We have a world waters page that has been in the works and sitting on the back burner for months (except for the few people who have seen the prototype) while busy with other objectives. I would be pleased to ask the community here to contribute to this cause, and this urges me to push it to the top again, naturally.

2) We have been resisting the notion of having products on sale here as an alternative to advertising and member donations but seeing as it appears to be an acceptable practice we are going to move in that direction. Therefore we clearly have a conflict of interest.

I and member contributors have been building this site without any monetary compensation (although the spiritual comp. has been priceless) for years now and somehow it strikes me as dishonorable when it is used as a vehicle to promote another's interests at this site's expense.

Would you consider a sponsorship for your commercial interests?

Moonlight
07-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Local Waters are like politics they are all local to somebody! The Situk, when I first moved to Alaska,was a little known ,even in Alaska, small stream with a bunch of fish. Like a lot of places it was "discovered" and now as the Glaicer is about to undo it I thought it was a good time to tell all who don't know that they missed a great little creek that is about to be no more. Certainly no harm done as you can hardly find a place to stand at the peak of the season anymore.
Hope you folks in England don't take this too negatively its just that there are getting to be a lot fewer "Local Waters" in the age of the Intrenet.