Deschutes River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Deschutes River

extmtbiker
07-22-2002, 01:15 PM
As I sat on the side of the Deschutes River in Oregon I watched the cold deep water to see if I could catch a glimse of a rainbow trout, but nothing came up.For the hole day I tryed catching one and I kept changing my flies. But I finally got one towards the end of the day. A nice 15".

If anyone could tell me a good time to fish or good flies to use thatw ould be a good help also maby an area on the river that would be good to fish.

,Geoff

Whiskey Dick
07-25-2002, 01:59 AM
Hi Geoff, Which part of the Deschutes are you fishing?, the upper, the middle or the lower?. let me know which section you are fishing and i will try to point you in the right direction,tight lines,brian:devil:

extmtbiker
07-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Hey Brian I am trying to get info on the lower deschutes.If you could give me info on places to fish and flies to use that would be great.

Geoff

Eric
07-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Hey, Geoff, it's caddis fly time on the Deschutes.

The posts above asking about your location on the river are very relevant, but, here's a general rule for caddis fly time:

Find an eddy. Wait for dusk. As the shadows come across the river, the surface will start to boil with rises as the caddis flies begin their activity. One of the most effective flies, for me, anyway, has been a pheasant tail soft hackle fished just under the surface in the eddies or in the straight-aways, if the fish are showing on the surface.

Try it, you might like it,

Eric

extmtbiker
07-25-2002, 06:05 PM
I reall appreciate you helping me with that problem that will probably come in handy the next time I go.

Geoff