Boston Harbor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boston Harbor

07-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Thursday, July 18, 2002: The morning started with great promise...all kinds of bait in Dorchester Bay, working birds and some breaking fish in Hingham Bay then in Dorchester. However, the action was short-lived and we only managed to catch and release a few small bass today on fly and light tackle. But for Stephen Saylor and his son, Ethan, the day was a success. Stephen caught his first striper on the fly and Ethan caught his first striper ever! Ethan said, "I didn't think I was going to catch any fish and I caught three!" Sometimes, it's not how many you catch but how well you catch them. For this father and son, the experience was not measured in numbers of bass caught and released.

Friday, July 19, 2002: The weather was definitely a factor today as thunderstorms interfered with the fishing and chased us off the water by 8:30 am. Van Lathem and his father-in-law only managed a few bass before the trip was cut short due to severe weather. However, the first fish of the day was a nice 30" bass caught by Herman on a jig and 5" bass assassin. Great start to a rather soggy ending! So it goes...

Saturday, July 20, 2002: For Joe Tango and his college friend, Dennis, fishing was very slow. Although we marked much bait in the Harbor, the bass seemed to be few and far between. Joe, a newcomer to saltwater fly fishing, had plenty of casting practice and did get his first striper on the fly. The wind started from the north and shifted northeast by mid-morning making it a somewhat cool and choppy day on the water.

Sunday, July 21, 2002: After telling my clients that the fishing had been very slow all week, Jay Ketterer remarked, "Don't worry, I bring good luck!" Well, he sure did today because the fishing was outstanding. At first light we found a school of large bass feeding on big herring in Hingham Bay and Chris Ketterer landed a nice 15 lb. linesider on a jig and 5" Albino Shad Bass Assassin. Later, Jay lost a big fish but all three anglers, father Jack included, hooked up. The anchorage lit up as well a short while later with lots of nice schoolie bass feeding on small 5" herring. When the action slowed down in the anchorage, the bass came up again on the other side of the Bay. There was also action out front with schools of bluefish and some bass, including a 29" "keeper" that Jay ended the day with. We only caught one bluefish as the schools were moving rapidly and the boat traffic made it somewhat of a challenge to maneuver around.

Until next week, we'll see you out there...

Capt. Wayne Frieden