Cost effective tuna rods? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cost effective tuna rods?

Roop
07-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Thinking about the Diamondback Backwater #12 as I know how these can really take a beating but it would be a bear to cast.

Need to be able to cast a fly as well as have enough backbone to pull a big fish up from below.

Anyone have any other alternatives that they've used - maybe in a #14?

Thanks,

Roop

DFix
07-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Price point?

Penn Int'l 13-14 (mine), +/- $300. Used to be some Powell 16's on Sierra Trading Post; maybe still there, $300+.

Adrian
07-19-2002, 10:54 AM
Jeff

I have a 12/13 loomis gl3 mega which I used on a lot of yellowfin up to 20lb. Its also not too bad to cast. I also have the 14wt which I have not yet christened.

Most of the real heavyweights are one piece jobs. Redington used to do one.

Hmmm, thinking of doing a bluefin trip? ;)

juro
07-19-2002, 10:54 AM
I have been eye-balling a 50% off demo Sage 12# and also a 14# at one of our sponsors. If I decide not to pull the trigger on the 14# I will let you know who it is :devil:

JimW
07-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Roop, you're not fooling anyone with this Tuna talk. We've all read the other thread on landing fish(bass) quickly. I think what you are really looking for is something you can pull a 20lb'r in like a popping plug:hehe:

Eddie
07-19-2002, 12:04 PM
A 12 weight seems awfully under gunned for Tuna. A twelve is still a casting rod, and for a fight that will be longer than a couple of hours...give me more stick. I have cast the Powell 14 and it casts very nicely. I have a Orvis 14 and it casts OK. too. Fish fights with these rods can be far and few in between.
Having spent a few hours on the wrong end of a twelve weight, I can tell you...don't go to a gun fight with a knife.

Roop
07-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys.

Eddie, I'm ordering the Powell AXS 8'6" #14 today.

Now to see how my # 10 Tioga holds up!!

Roop

Nick
07-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Is that gonna be used with your 25lb tippet :razz: ? I always thought the rod had to match the fly/fish you were fighting. Not the tippet strength. Those bass are really given you a headache, huh?:hehe:

Go get'em this weekend. No fishin for me. I'm hiking to the top of Mount Washington. Or at least that is the goal...

Nick

steelheadmike
07-19-2002, 04:51 PM
You may want to reconsider that Powell. I have been a long time supporter of the brand and sonce it has changed hands I honestly felt the rods have taken a turn for the worst. Poor workmanship and poor customer service. The first day I recieved my new rod from them, LGA908 2 piece, I took it Steelheading and with in 10 minutes I saw the Tip Top go sliding down my fly line! Then I could not get the rod apart, then the guides started to show signd of rust within 2 months. After returning it to them they gave me some cock and bull story how the can't replace it because the rod was discontinued. So it cost me $200 to upgrade to the AXS 908/3. That rod casts like HOT POOP! It flexes in 3 places and for long distance casts its horrific. Short range is actually good but that does not help you when fish are breaking 70ft away. Just giving you a heads up. Friends don't let Friends fish junk!

Eddie
07-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Mike, I have to disagree. I think that the AXS rods cast much better than the klunky LGA. I think that the AXS is an easy rod to cast long. I only point this out because my experience is so different from yours. This really high lights how personal our prefences are.
As to the poor customer service and quality, I haven't noticed it but I can't refute your experience.How is it that you got the rod from Powell direct?

NrthFrk16
07-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Another #14 to seriously consider is the Winston XTR/Boron #14...it is a wonderful rod to cast as it loads quickly at short distances (on a #12 Tarpon....didnt have a #14 demo line) yet can EASILY shoot 70 feet of line.

Plus it is a boron composite rod with tremendous lifting power and is nearly indestructible...it also comes with a fighting butt that easily converts to a gimbal so it locks in to fighting betls very nicely. And since it is a Winston, it is a very purdy rod. :D

Roop
07-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, went with the AXS based on price point ( how expensive of a rod can I afford to blow up?) and Eddie's resommendations. Will try it with various lines when it gets here next week to see how it casts.

But paying $179 for a $500 rod that you may use 1 - 2X a year if lucky, can't be beat.

Eddie
07-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Roop, that is a great price! So what are your plans with this tool of pain and glory?
It is good to hear that the Winston is finally out. They put alot of work into it. Won't get one for 180 bucks though.

craig
07-22-2002, 09:38 PM
What do you think would happen if I hooked a tuna on my 10 weight?

artb
07-22-2002, 09:44 PM
I have watched this thread with interest, before I put my foot in it. The voice of experence.:tsk_tsk: If you intend do do any off shore fishing for tuna & sharks, do not use anything lighter than a 12 weight. What one needs most of all is an anti-reverse reel, or a steel thumb if you intend to use a flyrod, be sure to have a weak link in your leader, and not the tippet, keep at least a three foot section of at least 80 lb mono, then about a 25 lb week-link, then you won't lose everything. In my opinion the reel is the most important piece of equipment. There is not a lot of casting over 30 feet. Put a reel seat on a broomstick. Most flyrods for offshore are under 8 feet. My son carries a 15 weight rod on his boat, has taken blue sharks to about 100 lbs.:) I have tried to get him to get aboard, but not sucessful. Expenses are very high for an offshore charter. 120 gallons of gas:( plus,plus,plus. lferaft check is about $600 a year. I wish I was rich enough to take the gang, the time is starting now!:) This thread should be under Offshore, striper fishing tomorrow at Quonochotaug.

Sol
07-23-2002, 11:41 PM
I second those who recommend 12 to 15 weight rods for BFT, but with one caveat: if there are 50+ pound fish in the school, use rods in the higher end of the range. You can land a biggie on a 12, but it won't be easy - and should be avoided if possible.
I was onto an 80+ pound BFT with a 12 wt. the same time Jamie Boyle was. The only difference was that his fish was landed and mine broke the rod by bending it down to the gunwales. A heavier rod would have allowed me to continue lifting the fish. Check out the difference in the diameter between 14 and 12 wt rods.

Roop
07-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the input - Sol for the rod verification & experience

Art, I've been studying my leader forumlas, appreciate the advice, working on a 30# class leader.

Now I just need to borrow a reel or find a deal... hmmmm....

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Eddie
07-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Roop, I have to urge you to reconsider the 30# tippet. 20# is VERY strong and I doubt that you will beat the fish much quicker with 30. You might get hurt with the 30. You will also have to go with the 50# spectra backing(my preference anyway).
I don't think that there are many fly reels out there that could turn up the drag enough to take advantage of 30# tippet. Steelfins&Charltons, yes, Abels, maybe, Tibors, nope, all others....put on the shop goggles.:eyecrazy:

jeffg
07-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Roop,
check out http://www.campbellsprotackle.com. You can get a great deal on a Penn 4G, which is a beefy, tough offshore reel. Remmeber to convert price to US Dollars. Email me if you want more info, I have ordered from tehm before. I got a Penn 13-15 wt. rod a few years ago, also from them, for $100.

JeffG

Roop
07-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Eddie - clean out your PM in box!

I was thinking 30# as a weaker link to the fly line, will rig with 20 instead.

THanks JeffG - I'm gonna try to borrow one for this season.
Nice to here from you!

Roop

Eddie
07-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Roop, PMs cleared.

jeffg
07-25-2002, 09:49 AM
yeah, I have been fairly MIA this season...Laying low, holding onto my job by the skin of my teeth, blew all my vacation time on my honeymoon (which, of course, was worth it). Pretty much the least amount of fishing I have done in the last five years, and the offshore bug has cut even more into my inshore striper fishing. Hope to catch up with you one of these days..............

Roop
07-25-2002, 01:43 PM
As I pull in the driveway for lunch & to let out the dog, what do I find but a tall skinny cardboard box!

Loaded up my 325 grain QD on the new rod and casted and easy 80'. There is a nice bit of tip flex and then it's all business to the point that I was able to pick up the sinking tip + and additional 10 - 15' of line off the grass, single haul and crank out a cast.

A surprisingly light rod.

Will test a 425 & 525 at Smitty's tomorrow AM

:D

Dble Haul
07-25-2002, 04:16 PM
You have the perfect tester for that rod. As long as you're home to let Lily out, why not get one of her smaller toys and cast it out there in the yard? She's a hard runner and would probably give that tip flex a workout. :hehe:

fredaevans
07-25-2002, 05:24 PM
stunt! God, that 'read' took me back a lot of year to when Sheba was a young pooch. Don't think I've ever laughed so much, or so hard, as watching her tussel around on the end of an 8wt fly rod.

Had a cat who would do the same thing; great sport on a 5wt.
:D

Tod D
07-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Forget the family pets guys! I get my 2 & 5 yr old boys to test my drag & rod flex. Five yr old is tough to stop as he just takes off, but the 2 likes to bulldog. Haven't figured out yet how to boga grip 'em yet...

Roop - check out the link below. It's for a Fin-Nor 10/12 so a BFT may be too much fish, but it's a decent price...

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=48167

Otherwise, I've got a Pfleuger 1453 you can have if you're interested...

craig
07-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Hey Juro:

Any word on that 14# sage demo? :devil: :devil: :chuckle: