Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flats Out Flow - 101

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jimmy 
#1 ·
Once in a while we all come across things in nature that make us stop and take notice. Subtleties,
that most would walk right by with out a second glance. The above picture was a 3 foot wide creek
with a small flow of water receding off the flat. In this flow were shrimp, being dumped into a
deep water channel. As we approached I told Chris that sometimes you can find fish feeding on
the outflow of food from these creeks. Sure enough, as we slowly approached, we found about 50
bass tight to the shore line feeding on mother natures banquet table. We stood 60 feet away and
only cast about 10 feet of leader into the water. As soon as the fly hit the water there was an
immediate interest in Chris's fly. 5 fish charged it as if it was to be their last meal. If the
fly was not striped (moved) to imitate a fleeing bait fish, it was ignored. But, by stripping it
fast and correctly, it looked like a bait fish trying to escape possible death. By imitating the
correct fleeing reaction of any specific type of bait fish with your fly will triple your hook-up
rate. (Care to learn?) We hooked 5-6 fish in this manner and could not help but feel like 2 little
kids in a candy store. It was almost too easy.

Randy

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Fish ON!

Fish ON! To land the fish without spooking all the rest we would bring it up into the creek.
Then I would get on my hands and knees and crawl over to it. A low profile was needed or all
fish would have seen me and blown out (spooked). They were that close and shallow. We both
felt as if we were trout fishing. All fish landed in this spot were schoolies, but Im not
complaining. For me it was just exciting to share something that not many people ever have a chance
to experience.

Once in a while we all come across things in nature that make us stop and take notice. Subtleties,
that most would walk right by with out a second glance.

Randy Jones

Attachments

#4 ·
Randy,
As usual, great info and great pics. Really interesting, I always see these little subtleties, and this season learning to try these little places.

Nick

#8 ·
Great Info

Randy,

The thought of fishing the out flows never dawned on me. What a great piece of information. I'll be sure to keep this in mind starting in a week(maybe less). :D The pics with the report really help pull it all together. Fantastic job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.