Chatham-7/18 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham-7/18

striblue
07-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Headed out with the 8 am shuttle to North Monomoy and headed directly to the south flat...high tide but outgoing...saw lots of fish....only a few follows... then see this Log swim by..huge... did not take... then this guy comes up behind me and it was non other than Tom Thomas...just up from down south... He says that he thought it was me because I would be the only one out there in flats shorts... he took a crack at that log and no go as well... he casted to it about 100 yards from me at the time when it got into his range... did not see any fish caught and Tom did not either...one of the original sight fishermen in the area. Anyway he shows me some of his bueatiful flats flys...which I immediatly scrutinize and commit to memory... He is still tying for Orvis and developed a famous crab pattern...nice to see him. I head over to the west Channel and blind cast and pick up two good mid 20's... then back to the crib and down to the K bouy.. and pick up three more but schoolies... I am going crazy... I consider myself extremely lucky to get those fish..... left at 12:45 ,tired and hot... anyway a great day... weather perfect...slight breeze, vey hot, sun came out for good around 9:30...water was warm though on the flats.

FishHawk
07-19-2002, 05:01 AM
I met him on the flats a week ago. He was the only one who caught fish on the flats . Ther were a lot of guides with their sports and while I was there they did not hook ups. Saw his green crab pattern. Looks simple but great. He caugth and released a 34" while I was there. A least your getting fish. Must be the shorts. FishHawk

BigDave
07-19-2002, 09:25 AM
John,

Yikes! Looks like things are getting tough down there just in time for me to take my vacation :mad: Sounds like you still had a fun day though.

I wonder if the warm water is slowing down the action. As you know I am a wet-wader like yourself and have noticed some real bathwater spots in my last couple of visits.

Hoping the cooler weather this weekend will pep them up a bit.

See you out there,

Dave

juro
07-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Ran into Bigdave who is spending the next few days out there - he and I headed to the same spot and experienced what was close to the mother of all pods... 200 fish, mostly keepahs! Tom T and Dave hooked up immediately, I hooked and dropped two, taking me out of the game as it passed - finally landing one before the dark mass of fish passed. Phew! Couldn't imagine missing with that many fish in one pack. On the other hand, I can't complain about a pod big enough to three fish before it passes! Tough times on the flats for sure but occasional moments of glory pop up, thankfully!

Jimmy
07-22-2002, 02:08 PM
I have a quick question. What is the water temp? Today, the reports for the water down here, indicates that the temp is in a range between 72 and 78 degrees. That helps explain alot about what's happening in southern CT. What about the Cape?