Fly Fishing Forum banner

St Croix UF998

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tonyd 
#1 ·
Anyone have feedback on this rod? It's the Legend Ultra Series, 9'9" 8wt, 3 piece. Specifically, I'm curious about your interpretation on rod action/speed, as well as any other input on the rod. I'm looking for a fast action rod for NW Steelheading and Saltwater action. A

And of course being a natural bargin hunter, I'm curious if anyone can point me to a good deal and/or has a used rod for sale.

Thanks,
Olyfly

#2 ·
My brother in law has that exact model.I cast it for a little while next to my 10ft 9wt GLX.The rod does cast quite nice but to be honest it weighs a ton for an 8wt.My GLX is a line weight higher and a little longer but it is at least an ounce lighter.This may not seem like much but after a few hours of casting you REALLY notice a difference and the SC becomes too tiring.For the dollar though they are an excellent rod.An even better value though is the new Temple Fork Outfitters rods.In Canada they offer a model called the Ti(through Springbrook).It is now available in a 10ft 8wt 4 piece and a 9ft6 8wt 2 piece.These are wonderful casting rods with a bullet proof lifetime warranty.The components are excellent and attractive but the best part is the price.The 4 piece model runs around $280 Canadian,which is like $3 US.Comes with a very nice case too.Check them out before commiting to the St.Croix.Not knocking the UL,but I think the TFO is a better rod for the buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.