Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyfishing in the White Mountains

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 · (Edited)
I am new at this sport. I am going on a mountain vaction next week to the white mountains in NH. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good novice waters for pan fish and small mouths. I don't need to know your favorite top secret trout streams.;)
Thanks

#3 ·
Welcome to the board, Puck! I should let all of the forum members know that I've had the pleasure of fishing with this guy, and he's developing quite a reputation with the local bluegill population. They've put up wanted posters saying "When this guy's around, don't eat anything!" :p

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with the warmwater fishing up in that mountain area. Maybe some others can chime in.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

#5 ·
My experiences are mostly for trout in that area. Interesting trout streams and brooks abound in the area.

For warmwater I'm coming up blank I have a mental image of a pond near an airport there that would be great for warmwater, but I can't rember where it is. There might be some panfish in the shallows of echo lake.

#6 ·
It's been a long time for me, but I used to fish the Swift, Ammonusuc, Sugar, Pemigewasett rivers with great success. Just go out early and cover a lot of water. One of the streams out near Littleton / Lisbon area was packed with trout and I had a ball fishing a small hopper toward the shoreline as I waded along. I came back to camp with a couple of brookies and a rainbow where my girlfriend was just making coffee. Then we picked up some fresh butter and sugar corn at a farm stand, boiled it in the water from the stream at camp, fried the trout with bacon strips and cracked open a couple of cold ones to complete our "romantic" outdoor dinner. Things kinda worked out well with that girl - she's now my wife of 20 years and I'm still crazy about her!

Beautiful area up there, I hope to get back out there more now that we're back from the pacific northwest (another beautiful mountainous area).

I'd personally try to find out of the way freestone streams and C&R some native brookies. That being said I'd also love to float the upper Saco...

#8 ·
Hey Puck,
Welcome to the BB.

If you want a shot at trout, try Russle Pond - it's a state park just south of Lincoln NH and a nice place to stay/camp - it's car camping and reservations might be a good idea.

Also try Sawyer Pond, in Bartlett NH - a short hike to a trout pond. shore access can be tough but doable and the water's not THAT cold, once you get used to it.

Be sure to post a report when you get back.
best regards,
Todd S.

#9 ·
My report

Thanks for the input guys. I did get up to the white mountains last week. I t was a trip with my 10 year old son. We hiked fished, camped, went birding and collected some plants.

We were first at a pond where I landed a monster 4" smallmouth. My first thought was "fiesty weeds up here" My son didn't catch anything on his spinner.

Dad...1 Son....0

A few days later we tried a pond in Crawford Notch that was posted for flyfishing only. My son was chagrined. However, we spoke with a local or two who gave us some tips on locations where my son could fish also.

We went further south in the Notch to the head waters of the Saco River. This pool had very steep sides and there was no room for a back cast. The pool was a natural quarry so I did not dare to wade out for fear of never seeing my son again. He caught nothing on his spinner and I caught my first trout on a fly. He was to amazed at the beaver who was eating a small branch for dinner.

Dad...2 Son....0 (the thrill of watching the beaver was worth 10 points, the thrill of seeing me catch a fish on a dry fly that he gave me for father's day was worth 20.)

New score

Dad....2 Son....30

A few days later I took him to a dam on the Connecticut river and he caught two yellow perch and I caught nothing.

Dad.....2 Son....32

Just imagine the points I felt seeing him have a great time.

Well I think we both won.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.