Any good flyfishing spots in oregon? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any good flyfishing spots in oregon?

extmtbiker
07-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Is there any good flyfishing spots around oregon that hardly any one no's about or that is a really good place to catch fish besides the metolius and the crooked river.

Adrian
07-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Geoff

One of the great things about the internet is that you can discover a huge amount of information that a few years ago would have taken years of research. Its a place where people can share information but that means if someone talks about an area that no one knows about, then automatically everyone knows about it! (Does that sound like Yogi Beara? :rolleyes: )

Discovering 'secret' or special places really takes time and effort. I suspect that there are many such places in Oregon - although I've not been lucky enough to visit there yet. I would start with one of those state atlases that show all the topography and rivers in detail. The best bets will be locations which are many miles from roads or towns - difficult places to get to unless you hike. As time goes on, you will discover your own 'special' places. It will then be up to you to decide wether you would like to share it with others

Hawkeye
07-15-2002, 01:04 PM
I think Adrian has it right. Get yourself some topo maps of the areas you think would most likely have an out of the way stream or beaver pond. Study those maps carefully then plan some exploratory trips. Just like fishing the search can be as fun as the "fruit" of your labor.

pmflyfisher
07-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Start placing some search subjects related to Oregon trout or fly fishing etc into Google. I just did it for South Dakota Black hills where I will be in two weeks and you would not beleive all of the great information I found, streams, lakes, flies, etc... Feel sorry for the poor trout !

Go for it.

Try this one also www.westfly.com

Dble Haul
07-15-2002, 02:15 PM
I suggest that you also pry the local flyshops for some general info. If you're too young to drive to one, give them a call. If they're worth their salt, they should get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck.

FlyMan
07-19-2002, 11:41 PM
You might try our fellow Northwest VFS flyfishing site at :

http://boards.justflies.com/Functions/Boards/index.cfm?center=Main&initialize=Main&gif=mb

and post your questions there. If you dig hard enough I know you'll also find some sites specifically for Oregon.