Ready to Explore... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ready to Explore...

NrthFrk16
07-14-2002, 09:53 PM
...finally got myself a reliable vehichle today so now I am ready to drive to Skeena Country, visit Fred down on the Rogue and all points in between. Alas, the funds that would have allowed me to explore these rivers were totally tapped to pay for the new rig.

:(

Oh well...the Stilly will have to work for now.

Steelheader69
07-14-2002, 11:19 PM
Now that you're up and running, we will have to arrange a summerrun float on the ole' nooch. Best to leave spey rods at home and bring one handers. Don't need that much UMPH. May even slip a (shhhhhh keep this quite) b a i t c a s t e r with.

So, what did you get? I'm looking at buyin a newer Suburban here shortly.

Scott K
07-15-2002, 12:25 AM
Yeah Ryan, tell us about your new rig! Let's hear about the fishing machine......Do you have any flies with broken points on the floor in the cab yet?

NrthFrk16
07-15-2002, 02:13 AM
Its a green '99 Jeep Cherokee...no old flys sitting in the carpet yet but I do already have a WSC sticker on it as well as a Winston Rod sticker...the C&R Wild Steelhead license plate holder is sitting on the table at work and will be screwed on tomorrow. :) And the Ray Bobbers and Rags have yet to be hung from the rear view mirrow and I havent stuck any flies or jigs or spoons or kwikfish into the ceiling of this rig, YET! :devil:

I do like the condition they took my Explorer on trade in...caked on mud everywhere on the outside...2" of silt and sand in the back of it along with pro-glow egg cure stains in the carpet and many old driftfishing leaders stuck into the carpet. :devil: Not to mention the 2 dozen rips left in the vanity mirrors and ceiling from flies and lures and the such plus the Sage, Simms, Loomis, Ross and WSC stickers stuck to the differnt windows and I can forget the half peeled off Weezer sticker. :chuckle: That is what they get for selling me that POS of Explorer in the first place...they got what they deserved!!!!!!!! :cool:

KerryS
07-15-2002, 09:23 AM
They aren't nick named exploders for nothing..................

fredaevans
07-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Other than some cooling/air conditioning problems a couple of years ago (strange problem, turned out the radiator was plugged and not enough coolant flowing through) still running like a champ.

Sounds like in better condition than Ryan's, but at 140K still ticking along and last emissions test said 'almost' new readings. Posting this could be 'the kiss of death?'
:whoa:

pmflyfisher
07-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Trail Blazer guy here "Like a Rock", 270 HP Vortex gets me to those fishing spots fast, supposedly the muscle car of current SUVs. Its a 2002. :D

roballen
07-18-2002, 05:51 PM
let me get this straight??? you bought your jeep from a place that sold you a lemon of an exploreer??

Scott K
07-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Whatever happened to when Steelheaders owned trucks?

juro
07-18-2002, 08:23 PM
Uh-oh, you just gave away your MO on the wild wild web! Hey, how come I saw you driving a blue F150 th'other day Sparky? ;)

Dana
07-19-2002, 12:02 AM
Scott, does my old '92 Mazda count as a truck? Or more of a "truckling" I guess...

juro
07-19-2002, 08:30 AM
My last truck was a '91 truckling B2600i 4x4... got 170k out of it before selling it. Still runs, although the motor was rebuilt c/o jiffy lube (long story, they didn't fill the engine fluids after draining). it was a great truck!

KerryS
07-19-2002, 10:45 AM
"94" Ford F150 w/canopy, 1/2 ton, 300ci inline 6, 5 speed. 152,000 miles and still going strong. I will get 200,000 miles or more out this truck.

Jere Eshelman
07-19-2002, 12:48 PM
Chevy decided to let me use a new suburban for three years at no interest. I kept the old one until after the hunting season was over, no point in getting the new one all messed up until it was spring steelhead season. The new one travels like a dream, and my lady even wants to wash it for me. Thanks, GM.

fredaevans
07-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Jere' you're either the ultimate StudMeister or you know something about the woman that she'd rather not become 'common knowledge.' Either way, "Way To Go."

Call me; I think I need a lesson or two on how you pulled that off.
:devil:

Jere Eshelman
07-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Fred, She knows she's got it good. But then she has me trained too, on my return from Argentina, I didn't forget what she always tells me "You can never go wrong with Jewlry."

fredaevans
07-19-2002, 04:19 PM
was the bird hunting?

Problem I have is Joan really doesn't care one way or another for jewlery; is there a good "Plan B?"
:smokin:

Scott K
07-20-2002, 01:12 AM
Does a Sage 6126 count as a Spey rod?

Of course it's a truck!

SUV's represent the new Steelheaders revolution of trying to compromise a Steelheaders vehicle, the truck, with that of a City vehicle and you end up with an SUV.

I'm looking at a new Toyota Tacoma, only a matter of some time and money I guess...

kush
07-20-2002, 10:15 AM
1981 Ford F250 Supercab 4X4

It is a beast, the complexion shows its 21 years and the 351 with the Hawley 4-barrel carb and Eldelbrock aluminum manifold drinks down the gas, but the old "Pig-Dawg" hauls ass and the Martini Bar up and down the Fraser Canyon like nobody's business!

Now I did put a brand new long block in back in '91 and I only use it for holidays so I'm sure that ultimately I'll be driving down the highway and all the quarter panels will just fall off and I'll be sitting on the frame - but it will still get me there! - and it may be another 10 years from now! What a great truck it has been. :cool:

ps - but you know Dana's truck is pretty damn good for getting back and forth from Spence's Bridge once the Martini Bar is in place!