7/11 South Beach Report -- I met the infamous "Chatham Skunk" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 7/11 South Beach Report -- I met the infamous "Chatham Skunk"

Quentin
07-14-2002, 07:35 AM
This report's a little late, but no big news anyway.

I took a ride to Chatham on Thursday and spent the day on South Beach. I met PeteG on the ferry (he was headed to NM) and he warned me that the fishing was tough the previous day, but I figured it couldn't be any worse than my last few carp outings so I still had high hopes. I arrived part way into the incoming tide and found that the strong, steady NW wind had a good chop on the water and made casting difficult (for me anyway!). I didn't see any fish for an hour or so, and I didn't feel like struggling with the wind if I was just blind casting, so I crossed over to the ocean side and watched the seals swim back and forth for a while. I walked almost to the end, stopping to cast occasionally, but only saw one small fish the wash. It turned and followed my fly but didn't eat. I fished the inside for a few more hours around high tide and the beginning of the ebb. I started seeing plenty of fish up on the flats and even managed to land my fly in their general vicinity a few times, but couldn't persuade any of them to hit. I did see a couple of big fish that got my adrenaline pumping, and I even had one of them swim up to inspect my crab fly. Then I choked! -- I didn't know what to do to trigger a strike! I tried a quick short twitch just to make the fly move a little, but the fish wasn't fooled and it continued its search for "real" food. When I got off the return shuttle I ran into Juro and the visitors from the PNW and learned that they'd had a little more success than I did. Oh well, maybe next time!

I generally try to avoid transporting the skunk back across the canal, so I made a detour to East Falmouth and managed to catch a few schoolies (pre-schoolies?) from the jetty at Bourne's Pond. Better than nothing!

BTW, on my next carp outing I did manage to get one. Glad I left that old skunk back on the Cape!

Q

FishHawk
07-14-2002, 10:26 AM
Know how it is and the curse of the skunk. Got nada all week except one small blue fish. Went to the Hoosey and caught some trout to shake off the skunk. FishHawk:smokin: