Flies For the clackamas River In oregon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flies For the clackamas River In oregon

extmtbiker
07-12-2002, 01:13 PM
What flies should I use for the clackamas river in Oregon?
Please tell me so I can catch more fish.

Geoff

juro
07-14-2002, 07:42 AM
Geoff -

I haven't fished the Clackamas R. but I have fished rivers very similar to it in the Columbia system. If you are targeting summer run steelhead, I would start by looking in the steelhead fly archive (steelhead section of FlyTalk). Some of the patterns are winter, but many are summer.

I suppose you are driving yet, but maybe you could join some of the gang in a get-together at the Clackamas someday.

There has been talk of a Deschutes Conclave...

fredaevans
07-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Fly Fishing Shop, in Welches, OR. Even though the Sandy River is his 'home river,' doubt much swims in other area rivers he doesn't know about. They're a advertiser on the board so even a better place to drop your dimes.

Fred

extmtbiker
07-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Juro-

Yes I guess sometime I could meet you down on the clackamas, but I cant drive yet since I am 15. I can probably find a way to get there cause my grandpa lives right next to the river.Also thanks for the help on the flies. If you could help on trout flies that would be great.
,Geoff

fredaevans
07-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Suspect you've got your self a couple additional 100, or so additoional 'Grand-dads."

You'll do well with us; if you can see yourself to southern Oregon, I'd be pleased to be your guide/mentor for a few day. Your call on the when. Fprgpt tp add: if you've not into Spey Rods, you will be when you leave.

fred/joan

extmtbiker
07-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Frefavan, right now dont have any big bucks because I just went on a fishing trip on the east coast. Maybe we can just go fishing together or something.
Geoff

GBSkunk
07-15-2002, 12:36 PM
When fishing a floating line I like a #4 Muddler or a #2 Green Butt Skunk. When fishing a sink tip line I like a Blue Moon tube fly. The next few months it will be best to fish real early or real late. In Sept. and Oct. it's good all day. Don't be afraid to fish the lower river.....fish come in all the time.

fredaevans
07-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Mr. G, I'd accept your company on the river as an honor. Anytime.
fae

GBSkunk
07-17-2002, 01:08 AM
You bet! We missed you at the clave.

roballen
07-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Dave e-mail me sometime soon I know a river with lots of fish in it :) I need to make up for the few times you wanted to go fishing but I couldn't

extmtbiker
07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
Fredaevans, When do u think we could go and also are you gonna make me pay because if you are I wont be able to go cause I only get 5 bucks a month.
Geoff

Eric
07-24-2002, 08:16 PM
What area of the Clackamas are you fishing? I fish fairly often in the spring down by the Winery Hole above the Southern Pacific trestle crossing. I've had consistent luck with purple General Practioners as well as the natural General Practioners.

Early morning fishing seems best down there.

One thing you might do is scope the river during periods of bright sunlight to find out the spots where the steelhead are holding, and then go back after them under low light conditions. Once the recreational float tubers and rafters start, the fishing gets tough.

The Clackamas is a green tinged river, so flies with some green in them should produce. The main problem is finding fish. Once you've done this, experiment with levels (deep sunk, near surface, skating, etc), then colors and sizes of flies. Also, be sure to fish the heavily aerated stretches, particularly if you're fishing far up the river (above North Fork)

Hope this helps,

Eric