Advise for fly rod/reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Advise for fly rod/reel

CSJ60
07-10-2002, 02:28 PM
I started fly fishing 6 months ago for trout and want to try my luck on stripers. No must haves but a 9' 9wt and reel with a good drag. Any suggestions… what about used gear good/bad idea.

BigDave
07-10-2002, 03:12 PM
CS,

Don't know what your price range is but I recently replaced my reel with a Lamson Velocity V4 to go with my 9 wt. I shopped for quite some time and don't think you can buy a lighter, more well built reel for the money.

PS-I beleive there's a gear talk section on this board where you might be able to review the experiences of others.

Good luck,

Dave

jborkowski
07-10-2002, 05:39 PM
I second the Lamson Velocity V4 vote for a reel. Recently bought one new off eBay for $175. Like it very much so far. Simple design. Well made. Good value.

Tod D
07-10-2002, 08:24 PM
CS

Definitely check out the Gear threads. Should find lots of opinions, etc.

FWIW, I'm into my 6th year using a Sci Anglers System II 8/9 in the salt. It is absolutely bombproof and I'm pretty sure can be had these days for under $150.

Roop
07-11-2002, 07:43 AM
If flyfishing for 6 months and experienced only with trout rods I would suggest:

1. Try before you buy.

2. Take a casting lesson from Juro or George Roberts then go buy a rod.

3. Buy the best rod you can afford.

4. Reels just hold line, buy a sed one if you can.

Good luck.

Roop

Chris
07-11-2002, 08:22 PM
I'd have to agree with the comment on the Scientific Anglers System II 8/9. I've been fishing one for 8 years and it seems to be virtually indestructable.

Sprocket
07-12-2002, 08:15 AM
when I was doing my homework, I became very impressed with the Teton Tioga reels (but ended up with a used Redington LA already loaded with line).

I'm kinda out of touch with the new gear now though