Southeast Cape Keepers, Flats, beach's 5/22 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Southeast Cape Keepers, Flats, beach's 5/22

RandyJones
05-23-2001, 07:05 PM
5/22 Report
Bill looked at me this AM. with a look of, do we really want to do this? Rain and steady 20 knot winds were forecast and Im sure
most people would never go fly fishing in THIS weather. Since we new the wind would be at our back we ventured forth. The casting
today was all done on the back and 60 foot plus casts were the norm with help from the wind. By implementing this wind casting
technique you are easily able to out smart mother nature and fish at will, anywhere you choose.

Today looked like another day of blind casting into areas the resident and migratory fish travel. Bill landed a few before the below
fighter came to hand. Some of you may remember from previous posts on how fish change their routes with the ever changing water
level. Normally on the low to rising, most fish will be traveling on the deep water edges and drop-offs for safety while in transition.
These areas you normally blind cast into. As the tide rises and comes up onto the flat, so do the fish. Some flats are very wide and the
width of their paths can be anywhere within a 200 foot wide space. Blind casting into these areas are about as productive as playing
the lottery. By studying the way they move at all parts of the tide in conjunction with the structure on the flat, you can actually blind cast
into areas where the width of their path is very small, never change and very predictable. These are prime areas to concentrate on
during the high tide when the sun is not around. I call these area's funnels. Why stand in waist deep water and blind cast to water void
of anything living, when all the fish are swimming behind you in 2 feet of water? (I used to be guilty of this)

As we sat eating our lunch on the edge of the flat in one of these funnel areas, I noticed a cloudy gray circular discoloration in the
water 20 feet out. It was a school of about 50 Bass in 2 feet of water. It was extremely hard to see them in the low light but they were
traveling shallow and tightly packed which helped. For the next 2 hours we stood on a high sand bar to help with seeing them and were
able to sight cast to 100's of Bass and Blues. We worked as a team with me standing 100 feet down the flat and calling out the schools
to Bill. Our visual cone was so small that this was the only way we could lead them enough to have the fly at their level when they
passed by. Or without Bill landing fly and line on their heads and causing a hasty retreat off the flat. Remember, just about any
species of fish, anywhere in the world is easiest to catch when you make it easier for them to eat. This means to lead the fish
by 20-50 feet and allow the fly to sink to eye level. This will increase your hook-up rate an unbelievable amount when sight
fishing.

Today was a prime example of having an intimate knowledge of structure and the relationship with fish movement to achieve success
while sight fishing on a very dark, windy, rainy day that most would never think possible.

Another day for Kings!

( See Photo )

Bill with a reel beauty!

Randy