Large diameter aluminum tubes - where to get? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Large diameter aluminum tubes - where to get?

TinMan
07-08-2002, 11:08 PM
I'm in need of an aluminum rod tube that's about 2-3/4" (3" ok, sure) in diameter and 4 feet long for a cane rod with 2 tip sections.

Anyone know where I can buy/order something like this?

fredaevans
07-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Try Angler's Workshop in Woodland, WA. Amazing the stuff they have.

Another thought would be to call some of the rod manufactures who deliver their rods in tubes such as Sage on Bainbridge Island, etc. They get them from someone, probably willing to share the info on their supplier(s). Another 'inexpensive' way to make a good rod tube is using '40' grade plastic irrigation pipe; you can get it in a zillion ID/OD's, cut to size, glue a butt plug on one end and threaded cap on the other and good to go. Short of driving a tractor over it (which I've done and it didn't faze it. e.g. Joan and I had vineyards for several years) it's darn near indestructable, which is why it's so heavily used for main line irrigation distibution pipe.
fe

DFix
07-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Mike, haven't seen large diameter aluminum anywhere close; tend to think it's special order to you/us or sub-contract to manufacturers like Fred says. Schedule 40 PVC is alright; you could take the time to line it with a fleece sleeve, gluing it just inside the terminal ends, popping a piece of foam in afterward to slug down into the PVC cap you glue on as a bottom, then get a female threadxsocket fitting with male threaded cap for the top. WalMart and Home Depot...famous fishing rod tube suppliers :chuckle:

I don't have (didn't save from last time) your email address or I woulda done this through email.

Stone
07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
For the Price REC gets for it's rod cases, I am sure you could call them to make one for you...

always worth a shot. But for something like that, I would tend to think home-made PVC case and some nice fixins on it would do the trick.

Maybe buy some of that metal-colored spray paint to make it look the part???

TinMan
07-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Excellent and very useful and informative replies, thanks guys!

BigDave
07-09-2002, 03:26 PM
TinMan,

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but sierratradingpost.com has a variety of rod tubes at good prices.

Best of luck,

BigDave

TinMan
07-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Angler's Workshop did the trick! THANKS!

fredaevans
07-12-2002, 01:17 AM
:)
fe

Chris
07-13-2002, 09:18 PM
After all the talk of directing information and purchasing of gear toward our fine sponsors I committed a gaff here and inserted link to a non sponsor- name not to be repeated.
I deleated the reply and will try to control those fits of synaptic vapor lock.

Steelheader69
07-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Try Cabela's, they have a selection of aluminum rod tubes. Pretty decent priced too. Just an option.