Fly Fishing Forum banner

July 7th's "ring of fire"

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
Throughout Sunday, the sky in CT was veiled in a smoky haze. Wildfires in northern Quebec had been producing smoke that was being carried down by northerly winds, and the effect on the sunlight was profound. The sun looked like a neon tangerine up in the sky, and the ambient light made the outdoors seem to be behind a rose filter.

What was the effect on the fishing? Well, a friend and I took the john boat out to a pond and had one of our best days ever. The haze that cut the glare resulted in fish that would hit topwater ALL DAY LONG. Some of the largemouths were coming up from over ten feet deep to hit our deer hair bugs and then slug it out in the open water. Most of the strikes were extremely violent.

It seemed like all of nature was a bit off kilter yesterday. Even the birds were behaving differently. I hope that the wildfires to the north have stopped, and I hope that another excellent day of fishing won't be dependent upon another natural disaster.

All in all, an interesting day.

#2 ·
Interesting, I talked on the phone with my parents in southern NJ yesterday and they said the same thing.

They thought it was from the western U.S. fires which I thought strange, since we did not have anything yet from them in the Chicago area.

Did not know about the Quebec fires.

#5 ·
permadusk?

The orange light had the Boston skyline looking like something out of the apocalypse when I woke up on Sunday morning. Thought it was just a weird hangover but glad to know others had this experience as well :smokin:

Way to go Mark. I had the same experience fishing a hula popper on Sunday afternoon. Just wish there was room to backcast where I do most of my bass fishing...

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.