Piscatiqua [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Piscatiqua

Eddie
05-23-2001, 09:55 AM
Stripers were everywhere last night, rolling like trout on emergers. Selective like trout too. In the midst of this frenzy, the only fly that would do was a tiny eel pattern. I suspect that an unweighted version would have been even better.
It was so exciting. I was wraping the line around my head as fish were litteraly breaking at my feet.
And I was bummed all afternoon that I couldn't go to the Merimack.

fliboy
05-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Talked to a friend of mine, that's not much of a fisherman who was up launching a boat in Great Bay. He described the breaking fish the same way - indicating that they seemed to be taking things close to the surface. He said they were "acting like trout" - and him and his buddy kind of ruled out stripers based on the behavior.

Anyone have any thougts about what they could be taking?

Dave

Bob Pink
05-23-2001, 05:25 PM
Good time to drift a shrimp pattern.... no retrieve, dead drift with maybe a twitch

Mattb
05-23-2001, 05:30 PM
Bob, what might such a shrimp pattern look like?

-Matt

Eddie
05-23-2001, 09:11 PM
I'm sure that they were feeding on little fish. They are about 1"-2" and transparent. Baby eels? Baby Herring?Silver sides? The water is thick with them. I went out again tonight and caught as many mackeral as I wanted on a little white bait fish pattern(smaller than what I was using yesterday) but didn't see any stripers. Maybe I should have cast a big mackeral pattern.