Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need help (I am a Noob)

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TheNoob 
#1 ·
Ok... Ok...
to start off i bought a combo package fly fishing starter pack about a week ago and i must say, I am LOVING it!!!
I am completly infatuated with flyfishing now!

So i was wanting to know... im going down to missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) on july 14-20th in the camdenton area and i was wondering what are some good tips on equipment or techniques for the crapi beds down there.

I am using a 8'3'' long pole right now with a very basic metal fly wheel, i dont know the weight of my line now but its tapered

and also what kinda flys should i use down there any suggestions... or doesn't it matter?
(dont flame me for asking im new to this hobby)

Thank you all for the input :)

#2 ·
My experience with Crappies is with bait, rather than a fly so take this advice with a large grain of salt. If I were to seek them I would fish deep with small streamers. Clouser minows would probably work well inched in slowly.

Does anyone have experience with Crappies on a fly?

#3 ·
I fished for crappies with a fly quite a lot over 20 years ago when I spent a year in the purgatory known as South Dakota because crappies, large mouth bass, as some stunted pike were all that were readily available. You are correct about small Clousers being effective, just work them slowly with long pauses between pulls. Also, dark colored clousers are more efective than bright or light colored ones.

However, the most effective flies I found day in and day out were a size 10 all black woolley bugger or a black bunny leech in size 10. Both of these should be weighted with either lead wraps under the body, a bead head, or one of the barbell eyes.

Use a floating line, a 10 to 12 foot leader, and cast as far as you can. Then simply count to 15 or so to let the leech or woolley bugger sink. After you count to 15, strip the fly in with fast arn length pulls of line followed by pauses to let the fly sink again. This motion effectively mimics the motion of a leech in the water. The crappies hit this combo with a vengence. I caught up to 100 in a day with this technique, it is deadly on them.

Good luck and have fun catching them. They are a ball on a light fly rod. Not to mention they make great eating.

#4 · (Edited)
Crappie Flies

Noob, The little streamers do work great. I'ved used Black Nosed Dace and Mickey Finns in size #10. Little bucktails in size # 8 or 10 in all black, all white, yellow and white, or red and white also work well. I also agree with "flytyer" on the Buggers in size #10. I've caught a ton of crappie in Arizona on size #10 Wooly Worm in black, white, or white with a red, yellow, or black hackle. They are gooood to eat. :D

#5 ·
I'll second the leech patterns. Mine are simply a zonker strip with either a conehead or bead chain eyes. The best colors are all black, all yellow, and all white, in that order.

Crappie are fun to catch if you let them show their stuff on the appropriate gear. Good luck! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.