07-04-2002, 07:48 PM
fyi

yep, this is an issue for sure.

Not many on my rivers yet though :D

http://www.ariverneversleeps.com/online/letters.shtml

watersprite
07-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Hal,

Seeing as how my home water, the Skagit River, has its share of jet sleds AND is a federally designated Wild and Scenic River, I guess now would be a good time to write my representatives about this issue. Thanks, again, for the heads-up.

ws

pmflyfisher
07-05-2002, 07:12 AM
WS

Agree, if they were out of control on my rivers I would be for sure.

Can't imagine having to worry about them on my back cast, guess that is another reason to use the spey technique in the PNW. :eek:

Hal

watersprite
07-05-2002, 12:33 PM
Hal,

Well it's not the "room to backcast" without interference that gets to me. Yeah, that with the noise, the surface wake eroding the banks, they ARE annoying. Frankly it's the jet's scouring of the river bottom that I take issue with. My property rests against an area noted for its chinook salmon spawning, in fact it is closed to the taking of salmon year round though you can still fish the trout and steelhead fishery. The water often runs in the 1-1/2 to 2 ft. depth level for a good part of the summer and mid-winter. I can't help but believe these boats are seriously undermining the spawning redds integrity in this area. As the chinook is now a listed fish in this river, any such jet boat activity is inappropriate.

Ya want to fish the upper reaches with a driftboat - okay. Raft - okay. Dingy - okay. Just keep the motorized boats OFF.

ws

pmflyfisher
07-05-2002, 02:36 PM
WS,

Agree 100%, thats unacceptable on all nursery headwaters, in addition to anglers wading through redds. Another one of my pet peeves. On my beloved PM there are no motors allowed in the holy water and nursery water stretches.

Hal