Bayside, 7/1 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside, 7/1

FredA
07-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Frankly I was about to resign myself to the fact that the place is following form and into its dawn and dusk summer schoolie mode. But the last few days have renewed my enthusiasm. Today Penguin and myself fished it hard through the drop and the first four hours of the incoming. Smaller fish on the outgoing though I had one that was in the 28 to 32" range. We had the yaks but really didn't use them. At low we selected a channel to post up at that provided an easy walk back to the hump the yaks were on.
With the incoming we began to see larger fish but were continuously frustrated. Pet finally broke the ice and then some with 3 keepers between 32 and 38". I moved into his slot and immediately hooked up with what I suspect was my biggest to date (>34"). I've been fighting fish aggressively, trying to calibrate myself to my tackle but I guess there are limits as I broke this guy off. I'll be dreaming (nightmare?)about that guy for a few nights.

A great day, all in all. Thanks to Pete for letting me inaugurate his oversand pass.

John, we missed you. Sorry I didn't try to contact you earlier but we were out till about 10 last night.

striblue
07-01-2002, 05:43 PM
SUPER! Fred...Pete just called and I will meet him tomorrow morning..He says you have other commitments?

juro
07-01-2002, 06:01 PM
What's more important than the fish is the "code" and it seems you've found it! They might not pick the exact same channels and shoals but they will make the same behavioral maneuvers with each tide change. You'll have many more chances to test the limits!

I think I already know the answer, but for the record... how many people were in this awesome spot besides you two?

Penguin
07-01-2002, 06:54 PM
...'Ever been Alaskan salmon fishing on opening day in Anchorage down behind the train station at Shippie Creek?!
...Well, it wasn't anything like that!

FredA
07-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Early am there was Pete, myself and Dave, a guy I've just met in the last several days over a couple of miles of beach. As the day wears on you get a lot of beachgoers out on the shoal and a few people fishing bait, etc.

nathansmith
07-01-2002, 07:16 PM
I would like to tag along one of these days where are you meeting?

juro
07-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Sounds GREAT! Sounds like about a half mile per angler by those counts. In contrast the area I was fishing last weekend was packed and half the people were wading out to their waists in the lane wondering why they weren't catching anything.

I love the bayside. You see more stripers tailing on the bayside than anywhere else. I recall calm mornings with tails waving all around the pasture. Nice spring push with the herring runs and fall push with the bunker as well, sand eel city in between - and they love that lady crab hatch! It's truly one of the great places to SWFF provided you have some way of protecting yourself from the tide concerns (yak, skiff, canoe, etc).

I look forward to reading more while I finish up tasks at work for the start of the long weekend :)

Slinger
07-02-2002, 12:50 AM
Barnstable Harbor was loaded with drifting crabs yesterday. Not being a crabologist I don`t know what kind but they were small and round. The hundreds of bass off the east bar didn`t seem to be paying them much attention. They were busy with clouds of sandeels. Making them bite was easy, now if I could only make them grow.
Slinger

juro
07-02-2002, 05:49 AM
Cool, the ones I see out there are the the tan with red dots. I've actually seen the small ones 'swimming' in the current and watched the bass tearing into them.

Any floating crabs are molted shells and are ignored by all including seagulls. If a seagull won't eat it, it's not going to interest anything else.

Somewhat related: The other day I ordered a big seafood dinner and went out to the deck to eat it. French fries were dry without ketchup, so I ran in to get a couple of squirts. Come back out and the damn seagulls had converged on my $15 plate, leaving me a shrimp, one fried clam and a pecked up fillet of fish. Oh and ALL the damn fries. It was an expensive plate of fries!

FishHawk
07-02-2002, 06:10 AM
Great report Fred. Was going to try and hook up with you this week but family obligations has prevented me from doing so. One of these weekend we'll make it and have a mini yak clave. FishHawk

Jimmy
07-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Great report. I've never fished the bay side before but I'm looking forward to trying ot out this year.