Well I'll be a dirty Name [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Well I'll be a dirty Name

Jimmy
06-30-2002, 04:56 PM
The greatest thing about where I live is its diversity. We have just about any and every ethnic group represented. It truly is wonderful.
That being said, I finally got a chance to get out and fish last night. Got down to the water around 7PM to find a truck load of people fishing. I was the only one with a fly rod. Judging by the coolers and beer can castles, most had been there for the duration. I asked around. Very few if any fish had been caught that day. I worked my way out to an area where I had room to cast. I had been tossing flat wings and Rays fly with no luck. As it got a little darker, I switched over to an Eel Punt. I cast my line out into the rip,a couple of upstream mends, fed some line, and at the end of the swing began to strip the line back. Third strip and BANG! A beautiful 32 inch bass. :eyecrazy: This caught the attention of every other fisherman in the area. After a good fight, I released the fish with a "thank you very much". :)
This simple action created quite a stir. I believe I was called a Son of a *&$%^*! in seven different languages. I also believe that my inteigence and the marital status of my mother were called into question.:eek: Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to call it a night. Any one have the number to the Berlitz School?

BTW. This didn't happen in Chatham.:devil:

Smcdermott
06-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Jimmy,
I had a similar experience today at Ocean Beach. I was fishing in the estuary right behind the picnic tables and hooked up to a 28" fish just a few feet from shore where some on lookers were gathered. After fighting the fish for a few minutes I brought him to hand and as I was releasing him everyone was screaming no and giving me a host of dirty looks. It still made for a great day as many people kept telling me the fish were out in the ocean only to see me hook up a few minutes later. Urban sight fishing at its finest.

Sean

striblue
06-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Way to go Jim.....A day of drinking and no fish...what can you expect... drinking becomes the reason they are really there for. See you soon.

Adrian
06-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Jimmy, nice job!

Local action seems to have switched over to a night-time event in our neck of the woods. I went out on my first night-time yak excursion last night with JimWes and JoeV. Nothing for me but lots learned and a good work-out - Jim, Joe and a guy in a small boat did very well with plugs'n stuff.

Have you got a yak yet? ;) ;) ;)

Its a different world when the sun goes down - can't say more else they would have to kill me:whoa:

juro
07-01-2002, 05:49 AM
Jimmy -

Funny how people can enjoy meat when they know zero about the animal it's from - but they think it's weird when you interact with an animal and not eat it's meat.

Lately I've been using the little viewer on my digital camera to quiet people down when they ask "where are all the fish?". I turn on the little viewer screen, and they go WOW :)