Fishing & Catching Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing & Catching Report

Roop
06-30-2002, 09:22 AM
Didn't fish Chatham.

The Penguin & I were en route at 3:30 to scout a hot spot that Juro has been telling me about for years. After a quick offload of the yaks & gear, some creative illegal parking & a long paddle without finding the spot, we went back to where we started from & found it.

Ever been to a place where everything, EVERYTHING, is right? Time of day, tide, bait... the anticipation was killing me as I rigged my sluggo on my trusty spin rod.... er, sorry... as I slowly worked my way from one fishy seam to another placing cast after cast, drift after drift, fly after fly with no hits runs or errors.

That's why they call it fishing.

A quick paddle back to the take out, a world class breakfast (many thanks Penguin) transfer gear to the Special Op's Truck & we headed for a shoal at the mouth of a very well traveled harbor.

Dropping tide, bait busting, terns diving, schoolies & baby blues to make you feel better and then it was time to find the holes & patterns for the bigger fish. I'd like to say biggest fish on that tide was 28" but it was probably more like 24"... I just wish I could have gotten the hang of picking up as many fluke/ flounder as a cetain flightless bird. :devil:

Returning from an exploratory paddle into a hidden harbor we find our shoal now covered with familes picnicing & enjoying themselves. Our set up for the flood as I had seen a few BIG fish cruising the flats was shut down by one of those kite sailing paraglide surfboard things - sure looks like fun - and too many people/ boat traffic.

Sorry for the diatribe, great day, thanks Penguin & J.

Roop

Penguin
06-30-2002, 10:02 AM
...'guess we shoulda' gone to Rhode Island...I hear they actually have some stripers there...go figure!

...maybe next time...now, if I could just figure out a way to bring the iced-coffee-slush-blender out on the flatzz life would take a giant step in the right direction!

Penguin
06-30-2002, 02:01 PM
BTW...if you are looking to use that spare guest room...The Right Honourable Roopmeister was thoughtful enough to bring a bottle of wine and a sleeping bag (so the host did not have to deal with laundry)...He also made use of the bathroom fan when necessary and did the dishes...AND woke me from a sound sleep at O'dark thirty so that we could do more by nine than most folks do all day!

My only regret is that he does not look like the gal working the counter at Christy's GasMart...

juro
07-01-2002, 07:04 AM
... and I'll bet she doesn't need the bathroom fan! :hehe:

Roop is not only a good guest, he's a great host as well.

Big week of fishing coming up for many of us!