Sure thing... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sure thing...

Fishinimpossible
05-21-2001, 10:34 AM
I need one. My 6 year old nephew is coming for the weekend, and I want to put him on lots of easy fish. I don't care if it's scup, stripers, tautog or whatever. You know kids...if it has fins, it's a trophy. We'll probably be down in the Westport area to visit some family, and I was wondering if anyone knows of some surefire spots for this type of fishing. Anywhere towards the Cape is also awesome. Most places I go usually require some kind of life-risk which I'm sure his mother wants me to avoid. I'm hoping for a jetty, dock whatever. Thanks bigtime in advance!

JeffSod
05-21-2001, 10:54 AM
The route 88 bridge over the Westport river is very effective this time of year and some REAL trophy's are caught on bait from the bridge. You can park in the rest area on the right just before the bridge. I seem to remember the outgoing being better and early and late in the day to avoid boat traffic. A lot of guys fish the Stone Bridge in Tiverton on the Sakonnet river for Tautog and Stripers this time a year and usually do well. Just a couple of many possibilities.

Fishinimpossible
05-21-2001, 10:59 AM
Do you fish under the bridge or on the bridge?

JeffSod
05-21-2001, 11:13 AM
I have flyfished under the bridge on the northwest side on a low outgoing tide and got schoolies while watching the bait guys up on the bridge hauling up some nice sized fish. So I would recommend up on the bridge for a sure thing.