Only in Chatham? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Only in Chatham?

Slinger
06-29-2002, 01:31 AM
User`s browsing this board would be led to believe that a 7 mile expanse of flats off of Chatham is the only place that Stripers swim. Let`s get real ,a small percentage of the fish inhabit this area. It may be great but it isn`t the promiused land. There must be someone else out there that isn`t fishing in Chatham.
Slinger

MarkDoogue
06-29-2002, 08:36 AM
....I'm not fishin' in Chatham!!

Then again, I haven't had a chance to fish at all yet.....:(

Hmmm, I could be in Chatham in under an hour and a half. Here fishy, fishy, fishy......:hehe:

nathansmith
06-29-2002, 11:38 AM
There is no doubt that there are alot of great places however there are few better places to site fish for big cows then chatham

Doc Duprey
06-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Guys,

It couild be worse. You could be stuck in Joisey.

-Doc

Slinger
06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Doc ,
Should you ever get unstuck you have an open invitation to bluefish central here in Rhoddy.
Slinger

striblue
06-29-2002, 05:08 PM
What difference does it make? You report where you fish... How about some reports from RI then?

Penguin
06-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Dear Mr Slinger..."Let's get real"?! EEEEZY big fella'...
You read reports from "active" members persuing their passion..."We" happen to be blessed with the Chatham fishery and take the time to share what's going on in "our" neighborhood with the FFF community...
If you have the opportunity to join us and get a taste of what the FarSide (of the Canal) has to offer, your point of view might be broadened and you would certainly better understand where we are coming from and why we feel enthusiastic and passionate about this special resource....Meet you at the LightHouse at 0500!
I highly encourage other fisheries to report so that we might better understand what's going on in your neighborhood...
In the meantime, I would prefer to believe that a casual observer to this board might assume that there is a highly motivated group of fly folks who have a pretty good thing going...like it or knottt!
A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work anyday!:razz:

Roop
06-30-2002, 08:28 AM
You know, when I read something like that I want to post replies like, " Didn't you know we all work for the Chatham Chamber of Commerce?"

or, "I guess we should all be like the Slinger (slinger of muck?) and find something negative in people sharing locations and techniques."

or, "Now let's see, where would we find his last report???"

But I won't.

Please feel free to join me/ us some time and we'll show you some of the benefits of Chatham AND other areas. Or, maybe you could share some of your experiences somewhere other than Chatham.

Slugs & hisses,

Roop

Penguin
06-30-2002, 01:12 PM
I've got a great idea...
All the folks who lurk, seldom post, and then make snide comments about what they read should have a get-together clave so that when dust settles they can keep their little secrets and not share them with the community...and I have a nomination for clave leader!

...and besides that, I just wanted get this up where it would be better noticed by this evenings readers...

artb
07-01-2002, 05:21 AM
:rolleyes: Maybe I am one of the lurkers, reason: I have posted many times about fishing RI, There doesn't seem to be any interest, so why bother. I have been catching some decent fish just about everytime I go, which is a couple of times a week. From either the inflatable, or wading the fish are there, but being so old, and the wife doesn't like it I only fish now adays in daylight hours. During the day I find that most of the fish are small. under 32", reading the reports, I see the board faithfulls are catching 40 " bass, they are not going to be interested in catching 10 " to 32 " fish where I fish. Some 20 to 40 lb bass are running nightly into the breachways, during the day they sulk on the bottom outside in the rocky areas. I have about six weeks to go before I get into the fishing I like, false albacore, but no one seems interested in catching 4 to 8 lb speedsters.:hehe: tight lines, catch and release, schoolie will be tomorrows trophy to be released again.

juro
07-01-2002, 05:44 AM
Step back and think about it...

This thread begins on the premise that those who are actively posting should be fishing somewhere else than where they are fishing. There's something missing in that logic. Perhaps those who are fishing somewhere else should be posting about what they're doing!

So, let me change the topic of this thread from Only in Chatham?

to:

Anyone fishing outside of Chatham ever going to post reports?

jborkowski
07-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by artb
[BI see the board faithfulls are catching 40 " bass, they are not going to be interested in catching 10 " to 32 " fish where I fish. Some 20 to 40 lb bass are running nightly into the breachways, [/B]

Artb,

I beg to differ. I'm interested in all those 32" fish you suggest nobody else wants ;) . I'm always up for a change of scenery, aaannnnd I have no wife which limits me to fishing during the day. As such, I'll take a few of those 20-40lbers as well.

Do tell more. Details, details....

Jeff

Roop
07-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Slinger, I should have left out the sarcastic comments.

I'll show you some spots around the Cape any time you would like. My karma isn't the same this year as in the past so there are no guarntees.

PM me and we'll set something up.

Roop

DFix
07-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Art's insight is invaluable, yet I disagree with SOME of his reasoning for lurking, and always have. Art, I do not think there's a lot of weight to 'nobody cares what happens in RI'; I personally like to know what's happening because it helps fuel the desire to GO, never mind just reading about it. It's understandable that the wife doesn't want you sloshing around in the middle of the night; find a couple other people to go with, safety in numbers, etc.

You asked me when I'd come down and go fishing - when I get a chance that isn't surrounded with other stuff I need to take care of. That simple. I'd hope you'd be around if I had a chance to come down and still want to go with me or take me.

If Steve thinks it's something of a private club, he's allowed to think so, right or wrong. Responding to Steve's third-shift, tired, a little annoyed comment doesn't require making an instant flamefest out of it or being sarcastic, like Jeff admitted to doing which was quite professional and admirable to admit.

I don't get to fish nearly as much as I'd like, so I don't have anything relevant to post, fishing wise. Does it make me less interested in what anyone else has to offer? - no, it doesn't. Does it mean I've taken to not caring how my friends are enjoying their seasons? Obviously a stupid question.

John's right about writing for the area you fish. Pete offered an opportunity to team up with Steve; Steve should take him or John or Jeff or anybody else who offers up on the chance, and God knows he or Art or several other RI locals could show the hell out of RI to the Cape Crowd or anybody else.

Just for the sake of saying so - geography is relative. If you've got the chance/time/inclination/desire to go somewhere, you'll get there in due time. Enjoy what you have; share it with others. Remember, friends don't let friends fish without support.

Play Nice.

Slinger
07-01-2002, 09:11 AM
I was fishing in Chatham long before most of the people here were born. I was there when Daigneault drove his truck into the old inlet. I was probably one of the first to walk across the new land bridge to south beach. I`ve spent 35 yrs. on the Cape. I don`t post about RI because I only fish here as a last resort. I was throwing flies at Bass before there was a commercialy produced saltwater fly rod. I resent being flamed because I had the audacity to say there are other places besides Chatham.
Oh, by the way if anyone cares, Barnstable Harbor produced 33 bass, 4 bluefish and one giant fluke in 4 hrs. of flyfishing yesterday morning.
Slinger

Jimmy
07-01-2002, 09:19 AM
about your posts. I read each and every post about fishing reports. I like to know what's happening in other areas. On the rare chance I get out to fish, I'll post my success:) or failure:( here in southern Ct. Now I'll admit, the fishing down here can't compare to the fishing on the Cape or the Newport area. To put it simple, it's tough. But it's fishing. I don't respond to all posts. Nor do I expect people to respond to mine. But I know they are accepted as they are. I post to share. That's it. Others do the same. All you need to do is post. It will be read. It will be appreciated. It may or may not be commented upon. But that's OK. I'm here to learn and to share what limited knowledge I have. I'm here to be looked upon as just another guy who loves flyfishing. No more, no less.

I have fished the Chatham area. It's a fantastic place. And in about two weeks, I'll be there at 0500 hours looking for new fish and old friends. It's not the only place on earth. So tell us about a few more. You may be surprised to see some guy walking the beach in your area with a fourm hat and an open mind.

Just my $0.02.

juro
07-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Slinger -

I sure hope my post didn't come across as a flame! The spirit of what I was trying to say was let's solve the imbalance with "more reports", not necessarily less from us big mouths who fish the corner a lot. ;)

On topic, you probably already know how I feel about the bayside flats... if a "point system" was based on quality of fishing per angler to contend with, the bayside would blow away Chatham by a mile. In fact, I have fished the flats from Barnstable to Wellfleet with emphasis on Brewster hard for many years and enjoy it just as much as any southside flats fishing, often more.

I like to mix it up, in fact I'm in Orleans just as often as anywhere else on cape, 18 oversand punches last year and more after they closed the shack. I have witnessed the most spectacular blitz activity in my life on Nauset's back beach, and the Pleasant Bay side has been steady and productive as well. There is nothing than can take the place of being in the surfline when the big (BIG) stripers pound bait against the beach. The national seashore from Race Point down to Orleans is probably the best bet for a record bass anywhere in New England.

The southside rivers are far under-rated as well, but then again you know all this. I remember when the albies and bonito would circle the basin to the east of Herring River over and over and over like a wall of death, sending silversides raining in a pressure wave 50 yards wide. That's back when no one even knew what the heck a bonito was when they caught it.

I have hooked the biggest bass of my life at the mouth of a herring run river, never landed it but several people saw it. Sometimes in the late spring and fall there is no better place to be fishing than the shoreline from Hardings to Hyannis, or from Craigville to Woods Hole. I have several years working these places myself, I agree they can be extremely productive.

Off cape, there is a whole coastline of great fishing out there. I know Maine is cookin' right now but some folks aren't into publicizing it. There has been some cowabunga activity on certain areas near the mouth of the Merrimack, but it's already a parking lot of boats at times and no one is advertising. Boston harbor has been excellent this year. Offshore fishing has really lit up lately, acres of bass. Sugar reef in Rhody is no doubt loaded with fish right now, I had my best outing out there last July. Narragansett Bay is in full gear and about to get visited by the hardtails soon to boot. The islands are smokin', the rips are loaded with blues and bass, the season's in full swing all over the coastline.

It's a great time to be a SWFF'er!!

artb
07-01-2002, 11:05 AM
:) To reply to Jeff, or Dave, or anyone else interested. I try to go fishing down between Charlestown, RI. & Napatree at least twice a week. I fish mostly around Quonochotaug. I usually fish, the outgoing in, or around the mouth of the breechway. The incoming sight fish around the flats in the Ponds. This week is bad as it is a vacation week, and it usually is crouded, but if the Piping Plovers, and the US Fish & Wildlife allow me to I will fish the mouth of Quonny tomorrow. in the AM.I will eave the house about 5:30 AM, can't get there too early as I have to wait for 7AM to drive in the sand trail,Piping Plovers. I will check back in tonight around 9PM to see if anyone is interested in going. Can't do anymore than that. Just send me e-mail and I will give my cell no, and address if anyone is interested, no sense in taking two cars. At any rate, Tight Lines, and good luck. Offshore fishing is starting, know of Mako's , and Thresher Sharks caught. Sugar reef is hot one day, and cold the next.:eyecrazy:

JimW
07-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Art,
Great to hear from you. FWIW I enjoy the posts of fishing in other locations. Sometimes I cannot even get out and fish my homewaters which are ~5 miles from the house, nevermind locations in other states. It's a charge take 5 at work and read about someone elses good times, bad times and maybe learn something, maybe help someone out if you can. That's what it's all about.
Slinger,
Sounds like you've got a lot to offer. How about sharing some experiences, just leave out the specific locations as you obviously know those can bite you in the butt.

Let's leave the Bickering to the other boards.

BTW - There are no fish in Chatham! ;)

Lefty
07-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Slinger,

I'm with you. Don't let the cape orientation of the board get to you. Fact is, the Cape-being perhaps the best place to fish the salt in New England- is expensive to visit, and far away for some of us. Just not in the cards.
Me? I'm blessed with the No. Shore. The water is cold and deep and tough to fish. Little to report beyond the usual schoolies. There are a few guys who every year figure out some things about the Merrimack R. and catch some cows, but that's mostly it. In general the "real reports" never happen much anymore unless they are vague enough to keep the hoards away.

So basically I don't come to any web boards for reports. I come here to learn technique and some comraderie. This bunch is ok in spite of the touchy feely bent as of late.

You raised a valid point and the thrashing was short sighted. Some here believe that there should be no such thing as critique. They forget, that's what makes the US the best-the option for open dissent.

Lefty

ssully
07-01-2002, 01:22 PM
nevermind it's gone.

steelheadmike
07-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I personally enjoy all the posts no matter where they are from. I think most visitors to the sight will get the impression that this is a MA site but in actuality most of you live on or near the Cape so Striblue, Juro and alot of others certainly can't hop the car after work and go fish Sandy Hook NJ. Those of you who can should not hesitate to post your reports. There are members on this site that post from CT ( including myself ) and from various other locations from time to time. These boards are for good reports, information and a little fishing humor. Most of you are nice enough to give us up to minute info on the fishing in MA for those of us who may be planning to go or will be going in the neer future. Personally I am envious of all of you who get to fish in such a great place and get to call it your "Home Waters". It provides a great source of day dream material while I sit here in the office.

To sit at home and complain about the lack of variety in the posts is useless. Get your hiney out there and feed us some tales of Monster Blues and reel screaming Stripers from your home waters. I'm sure all of us would like to hear whats going on in your neck of the woods as well as some tips for those of us who may want to take a little feild trip.

Roop
07-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Slinger
I was fishing in Chatham long before most of the people here were born. I was there when Daigneault drove his truck into the old inlet. I was probably one of the first to walk across the new land bridge to south beach. I`ve spent 35 yrs. on the Cape

Cool! So does this mean you'll show me around the Cape instead?
;)

It's only fishing, I can't believe how anyone can get so wound up about (myself included).

Others should psot there reports. How many times have I said that?

Terry - way to be the voice of dissent! I would expect nothing less of you and be disappointed if you didn't!! :hehe: Your comments often have more impact on me then a good strong cup of coffee!!

Go fish!

Roop

striblue
07-01-2002, 03:31 PM
One... Terry..I don't believe you about what you said... we joke with each other all the time.....2... I still don't get why some one would take a shot at a post from Chatham..OR ANYWHERE.. 3... Art..great picture...4. Juro was right about the logic issue.....5..Dave Fix was right about posting where you fish... 6... I still don't get the reason for Slingers post... what point were you making? so what if you don't like it...don't read them... 7...and yes... Chatham and it's environs is the promised land for BIG stripers as is Nauset...... and Finally... I will close this thread down if it gets out of hand. ( I walked the cut. at first.. I fished before the cut formed and have been in Chatham for 40 years.... and I am still here)

juro
07-01-2002, 03:56 PM
:confused:

Problem: People who are fishing the cape are talking, people who aren't do not talk as much.

Possible solutions: (1) shut people up about the cape (2) ask people who talk more to fish elsewhere (3) ask people who fish elsewhere to talk more (4) recognize that it's not a problem in the first place, just an observation.

I am leaning toward (3) or (4).

(1) and (2) are silly. This whole thread is!

Let's move on folks, show your support for (3) or (4) by voluntarily not replying to this thread any more , we will not have to shut it down or any of that stuff we never do.