Chatham 6/25-6/26 report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham 6/25-6/26 report

BigDave
06-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Finally scored a couple of days off this week and headed down to SB to fish mid-day high tides on Tues and Weds. Best 2 days off I've taken in years.

Visibility on Tues was outstanding - a real blue bird day with light winds. Saw lots of moving shadows but in many cases they saw me first. Still managed double digits with 2 legals in the 30" range.

Yesterday was more challenging with a stiff 20mph blow. AM was a little hazy but manageable. Saw tons of mini-blues on the flats, cruising in pods of 20 or more. Also spotted a couple of monster blues milling arond in about a foot of water with thier dorsal fins exposed. These fish were huge. Anyone know what this behavior represents? Could not get them to move to either sand eel or squid patterns.

Pea-soup fog kicked up around 2 and pretty much shut things down. As I was about to leave I spotted 2 cruising cows and got to watch one of them take my fly about 10 feet in front of me. Major adrenaline rush. About 5 minutes later, she was measured at 35" and released. Totally made my trip.

Best of luck to those heading out on the 4th!

Dave

striblue
06-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Great Report... I know exactly how you feel. Report from Nauset say that the Humpbacks are just off shore and making quite a sight... also.. reports of massive amounts of sand eels...love it.

juro
06-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Dave - Did you try a banger across the bow on those blues?

BigDave
07-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Juro,

That's the one one fly in my box that I didn't try. Figured they were in such shallow water that a topwater presentation would spook them - which I didn't want to do because I was enjoying watching them mill around.

Looks like I'll be heading down to join the masses over the holiday weekend as well. Hopefully I'll bump into you so I can return your fly (not a chance)! :devil: