must haves for Monomoy? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: must haves for Monomoy?

Sprocket
06-25-2002, 08:37 AM
So I'm planning a little vaycay down the Cape with Herself and as we're planning the lodgings etc. last night and she says,"One of the guys at work said we should skip Chatam and go to Monomoy. They have this ferry and...". I just nod my head blinking and recount my blessings, it's a long list.

To the point:
what are the must have's for a day out there? waders, bucket, lunch/water, sunscreen, etc.

what flys (having trouble finding that particular piece of info in my searches)? deep eel - size?, clousers - size/color?

Thanks for answering yet another M'moy Q.
TMS

striblue
06-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Tod..... there is alot of this on the pasts posts...especially the posts on Rip trip. You need water, sunscreen, all the usual stuff. I will not use waders but I don't stay in the same place or the water for hours on end. You should bring crab patterns and the deep sand eel in different sizes... short and sparce is good with little flash.

juro
06-25-2002, 09:43 AM
For some "light reading" use the search function with keyword "flats". Randy's advice is particularly useful and entertaining.

Bayside flats are uncrowded and loaded with fish, keep that in mind as well.

South beach is easier to figure out and has both sides to fish; many fish on the outside lately with nice bass against the shore and plenty of blues blitzing.

Lighthouse area can be hot or cold but it sure is a beautiful place to start the day. When hot, be ready to see a bunch of backing.

Nauset is not far up the road and known as the place where record fish are caught. Raw Cape Cod beauty for miles and miles.

This time of year large groups of bass run along the Nantucket Sound shoreline from Hardings to Woods Hole, keep this little rhyme in mind - "early and late, moving water and bait" and you'll find fish along the sound's many rivers and jetties. That's an old coho salmon flyfishing rhyme I made up while learning the straits fishery off the Olympic Penisula in the 80's but it applies very well to the northeast as well.

Good luck to you and your lady out there! Maybe you can hook up with some of the Chatham "regulars" to accelerate the learning curve.

Sprocket
06-25-2002, 10:59 AM
did a search & read - lots of good tips but not much on patterns. Also checked out the riptrip stuff - I've got a little time and will do more h-work.

Thanks

BigDave
06-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Todd,

I would put a good pair of polarized shades and a hat with a long bill at the top of your list.

I did well with small, sparsely dressed sand eel patterns this week. Saw lots of small (like a size 6 2x hook) crabs and shrimp in the water though, so you might want to do the crustacean thing as striblue suggested. IMHO, presentation is much more critical than fly selection.

Dave

juro
06-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Dave - I can tell you learned the lessons of the flats well ;)

Lefty
06-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Also bring one of those guys from the "First Cast" club (ie..Roop, Morin). They hook something over 30" every first cast. Ya ya... the usual No. Shore jealousy.

Lefty

Sprocket
06-27-2002, 04:55 PM
I'll be tying tomorrow, thanks for the patterns.

presentation: studying Caolo's book as well.

As Lefty mentioned, if I can be in the company of a "seasoned pro" it would be wortha lunch at the chatam squire - or at least an adult tpew beverage or two...

This will be my first trip over there so I'm just looking to get the feel of things and learn. If I hook up, bonus. If I land it, SWEET! If Lor does the same - OH YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

thanks Gents - email or PM if you'd like to meet up.

striblue
06-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Todd...you know where to find me so give a call or see you at the light house ..as mentioned in other threads..starting Saturday I will start my morning there at 4:30 am(or 5) every morning....for a full week.

BigDave
06-27-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey Juro,

Thanks - my "flats vision" improves greatly with each trip.

BTW - the fly you gave me at N. Monomoy came in pretty handy this week - check my 6/25-6/26 report if you get a chance. All fish caught on that fly. I should frame it (or what's left of it)...