a question for you computer hardware guys... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: a question for you computer hardware guys...

marvin
06-25-2002, 09:24 AM
OK, I know it's not fishing related, but I also know there are a fair number of hardware-adept folks on this board.

I need to buy Kid #1 a laptop to take to college in the fall. What do I want to look for (or avoid) regarding manufacturer, their support, etc.? So far all have is the required components list (DVD/RWCD)

:rolleyes:

All suggestions appreciated!!

Chris
06-25-2002, 12:12 PM
I sent my daughter off with a Dell. I bought a Dell PC three years ago and have had little trouble and excellent support so I felt I'd stick with them.
I got here a no frills w/14" screen then paid a little more for the internal network inteface card- most come with this now and the two colleges I've sent kids off to required this as everything they do is behind the schools intranet firewall. I bought extra RAM and I purchased an extended free shipping mail in repair warranty. I usually avoid any extra warranty packages anyone is selling but not being around to bail her out I felt it was a good investment.
Get her a subscription to a virus protection program, Nortons or something. An additional fire wall software package for off campus wouldn't hurt either.
Good luck and hang onto those pennies Northeastern can't justify the increase in tuition they stuck us with this year.

fredaevans
06-25-2002, 12:32 PM
noted by Chris above. My only 'exeption' would be I'd recommed he consider the Gateway products. Joan and I have had two Dells and two Gateways todate. Both worked 'fine' 99% of the time ....

For the last 1% both of us have found the Gateway help desk people to be Bulldogs in assuring what ever the problem was it got handled promptly and properly. Even had one time where I'm on my hands and knees under a desk with guy on speaker phone taking me through the process of how to look for loose wire connections, etc.

fe