Southern RI Today, & Last Thursday [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Southern RI Today, & Last Thursday

artb
06-24-2002, 09:26 PM
Last Thursday I caught a couple of keepersat dead low tide at the mouth of Quonny, not the 40 inch fish you are catching on the cape, but fun. Today I took my small inflatable boat.The wind was blowing pretty hard offshore, so I fished some of the incoming in Quonny breachway, took 4 small bass in the breachway, looked out in the ocean, and saw some fish breaking. I couldn't resist trying the inflatable in the surf, so I put on my life jacket and went out through the surf. Dropped my 8 lb anchor about 100 yards offshore as rowing was very hard in the wind. I was right in the middle of fish. I didn't take anything large but had a ball, the only fish I didn't catch there was flounder. I caught bass, blues, hickory shad, and scup. The thing that I find hard believing is that I have only used one fly pattern in my last few trips, interested? I can tell you this much it is a fly that came from my very good friend Al Brewster, who taught me fly fishing about 60 years ago. Some day when I get time I am going to figure out how to post a picture of the fly. Inflatable works fine, but I can't get back high and dry without getting wet. Really had a great time all by myself.

shaialude
06-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Art,
That fly wouldn't have anything to do with Mr. Penny with four eyes?
Ron Montecalvo

GregD
06-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Hey Art,

Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you found a great spot to fish from. What a variety of fish there. Those inflatable or portables can get you into some great spots. Just crossing a channel can provide access to a whole new area.

The water temps are coming up pretty fast now with the warmer weather. When do you think we will see our first Bonita or Albies off Watch Hill? A few weeks or longer?

Thanks,
Greg.

DFix
06-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Sounds like you had a ball:) Did you ever do anything to install a stiffer floor in the inflatable?