Nutrogena oil-free SPF 45 Sunblock [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nutrogena oil-free SPF 45 Sunblock

juro
06-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Just about finished the first large tube, this stuff has been responsible for a lot of protection half of last season and part of this one and I am about to spring for a second $9 tube. Expensive, but the formula doesn't cause zits while being water resistant and light on the skin. Like any mix, keep it out of the eyes :eyecrazy:

Other things I've found to be helpful -

- button up the collar
- high SPF lip balm
- hats with flaps to save the tips of the ears and neck
- long billed hats with dark undersides (thanks Nick)
- light fabric long sleeve quickdry shirts
- breathable waders even in hot weather if wading

Can't be too careful about UV during the summer!

newbiefish
06-23-2002, 11:38 PM
I use Coppertone Sport SPF 48 Ultra SweatProof--the stuff in the blue tube--but at some point everytime I fish my eyes start stinging. It's horrible. It's almost like the fumes get behind my glasses, and if they get too concentrated my eyes start burning. I have to take off my glasses and wait for my eyes to stop watering and hurting.

I'll try your stuff.

Eddie
06-24-2002, 07:44 AM
I just got back from the keys and did pretty well avoiding getting sun burned. It rained most of the time that I was there.
I will add to Juro's suggestions with "Sun Gloves"(Made by Mangrove Outfitter, Glacier Glove, or Bass Pro). They look funny, but the keep your mitts out of the sun. They even work when wet. They are not durable and will need to be sewn reenforced.
Mangrove Outfitters also makes a very light Balaclava that is great if you are seriouse about avoiding CANCER. Covers the whole face and is actually comfortable. Make sure you take it off befor you stop at the 7-11.

JDJones
06-24-2002, 10:19 AM
Sequel Outdoors in Durago Co makes a great hat for flats fishing. It is called the Desrt Rat, I think. It is available in whight and sand colors. http://www.sequel.tm/stores/stores.html

I also really like the Cabelas Guide wear shirts for all the reasons mentioned.

TinMan
07-02-2002, 06:45 PM
http://www.sequel.tm/stores/online_store/solarsystem/desert_rhat.html

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

MarkDoogue
07-02-2002, 07:19 PM
For sunblock try Coppertone WaterBABIES SPF 45. It is a non-stinging, waterproof sunblock designed for children so it's easy on your skin and won't sting your eyes.

I wear it all the time on the golf course and IF I get a chance to fish. I've had it in my eyes a few times on absurdly hot afternoons and it does not sting at all.

old man
07-04-2002, 01:05 PM
Up where I live we don't worry about wearing sun block. All we seem to worry about is if I have enough gunk on to repel all of the different biting bugs.

When you fish up in the hills, it seems that you in the shade more that in the sun.:hehe:

John Desjardins
07-04-2002, 02:32 PM
I'll second the water babies. I swipe it from the wife & kids whenever I need it.

Oldman, that could be another topic; insect repellants that are effective but don't disolve a line.

Eddie
07-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Water Babies stings my eyes. Still, its what I use.