Shore Fishing The Cape [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shore Fishing The Cape

James Jon
06-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Hello all.

New to the forum and I'm looking for some help.

I will be traveling to Cape Cod on June 27 to stay with the in-laws in Marstons Mills.

Can anyone recommend a few shore locations where we can get the line wet (wading locations preferred). Also, the best times to fish those locations would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Hawkeye
06-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Around Marstons Mills try South Cape Beach, Bass River, Brewster Flats. For times - around dusk and dawn and that dark time in between (flats is generally a daylight adventure). Tides - I prefer dropping from high on beaches and rising from low on flats

juro
06-18-2002, 06:35 PM
You should be able to access some great spots as Hawkeye mentioned. Mid-morning lows mean good ebb currents at dawn, there should be some feeding going on.

For a simple sortie', just hit the various outlets and jetties on the soundside at dawn and dusk. You'll find plenty of schoolies, blues, and an occasional keeper cruising the mouth of the salt ponds, South Cape Beach shoreline rips, Craigville Beach, Cotuit, river mouths from Yarmouth to Dennis to Harwich to Chatham.

On the bayside, go to Chapin Beach (walk 1 mile west), or Cold Storage (walk east), Saints Landing, etc. With that tide you could fish the ebb from dawn to low, 1 hour past and head back with the flood and still be back to the lot hours before the attendants show up looking for $10.

Chatham, Orleans, Wellfleet - pick your place, it's all good striper fishing on the cape! Sorry, it's a work day or I'd show you around myself!

James Jon
06-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Thank you both for your help.

I wish getting fishing locations was this easy in other places in NE!

JJ

FredA
06-19-2002, 08:27 AM
James,
I'll be down on vacation the next couple of weeks. I'll be focusing on some of the bayside locations Juro mentioned in the am next week. Shoot me a private message if you want to hook up.

ssully
06-19-2002, 11:51 AM
http://www.flyfishing-the-salt.com/secrets.html