Fly Fishing Forum banner

Raiding the saltwater flybox

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
Gonna do a little LM Bassin soon. I have this incredible urge to raid my saltwater flies. They got big hooks good colors. Anyone do that?

#2 ·
Lefty- I do that on a fairly regular basis. Decievers, Bangers, Seaducers, Surf Candies, Snake Flies, Clousers,......the list goes on and on. In addition, I've been tying up some small and sparse versions of Juro's Real Eel in smoke and bronze for an upcoming trip to the Cape, but couldn't help notice that they'd probably be killer on bass, especially smallmouths. I also occasionally find myself taking some of my so-called largemouth or pike flies and using them for stripers and blues.

I think that instead of rigidly defining my flyboxes by fresh vs. salt or by species type, I'm gonna just label them all "STUFF". That should keep my mind open. Seriously though, go for it. I've caught some awfully good bass on flies that were originally intended for the salt.

#3 ·
Awesome. I'm taking my son out one night this week for a LM run. My father in law has access to a small private quarry about 5 or 6 acres with huge bass in it, along with some small agressive ones too. Love that place. I caught a 3 or 4 lb. LM there a couple years ago on a rubber worm with spin gear. So I was gonna try and use a black snake fly to emulate it.

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.