Flies for Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flies for Clave

FishHawk
05-16-2001, 05:38 AM
What would you recommend for flies for the Clave? I am bringing Bob's Banger, Clousers Olive and white Decievers and some Deep Sand Eels. Did I miss any?
FishHawk

Roop
05-16-2001, 07:23 AM
Good question.

I think you're right on target. Especially with the deep sand eels.

I would also include a few squid flies.
Anyone have any specific recommendations for colors this time of year?

Roop

Bob Pink
05-16-2001, 07:41 AM
In the warmer waters around Poppy this weekend the squid color du jour was pink ( excellent taste! ) I was fishing them on an intermediate in 4 - 10' depths but it was more sight-casting than blind and with the squid they wanted a fast two-handed retrieve. Other observations were the bluefish hitting fairly large 5 - 7" darker color flies, black over blue over green which raised speculation that there macks around somewhere. I haven't broken out the deep sand eel yet although they ill be well represented in my pack on Friday...:-

striblue
05-16-2001, 08:23 AM
Bob, I have been told there are Macs around. I will have the deep sand eel and will tie some in smaller versions as well. The standard clouser colors you mention would work as well. But I agree that the squid fly should be key, particularly since I have been seeing plenty of them in the Chatham estuaries.

jeffg
05-16-2001, 09:10 AM
I guess squid and sandeel patterns are a given, but are there herring in the mix dwon there? Most other spots this time of year i wouldn't be caught dead without some BIG ol' herring patterns, but come to think of it, i have never fished big patterns at Monomoy...

Bob Pink
05-16-2001, 03:22 PM
jeff,
striperman's preference is a big herring pattern in the surf at this time of year ( well maybe a few weeks later than this one...) Certainly if you are at opening for a herring run?
Last weekend my big herring buffies were just getting nipped on the tails...

Roop
05-17-2001, 06:54 AM
Last night Sean Fields confirmed the big herring flies on the outside are your best shot as well as squid on the bay side; white, pink & oarnge.

Roop