Tube Flies Arrived [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tube Flies Arrived

pmflyfisher
06-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Fred,

Your tube flies arrived today, very nice specimens to add to the arsenal of offerings.

Did you buy the components or make them your self ?

If you bought them who was it from ?

Nice and simple ties, can't wait to give them a swim.

Best

Hal

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 07:47 PM
The tube material came from a model airplane store, the hook holder plastic is tropical fish tank air tubeing, etc. That's one of the things I like about "Otis Bugs" is they're simple as all heck and account for a lot of summer runs.

Keep me posted on their effectiveness on the PM.
fe

pmflyfisher
06-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Yes agree, "Simple is Better" go with complex solution only when absolutely needed and have back up plan in case of failure.

Have to try another hobby shop, my local one does not have the right tubes. I bought some metal tubes and a tube cutter from them two months ago but never got it all together. Oh well it is another fly fishing challenge for me to conquer.

Thats whats great about tying your own flies there is always some new technique to try and master.

These will be used soon but not on PM. Thanks again.

Hal

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 10:58 PM
is to use a very small (they have them at the model shops) to ream/smooth out both ends of the cut tube. The cutting process always leaves sharp edges/burrs which will abraid your leader. With tube materials above 3/32 you can also line them with plastic Q-tip bodies.

Just cut about a 1/4"longer than the tube, insert a mandrel and run over a hot light bulb or above a flame to soften, then mush to flare out the plastic.

fe
Forgot to add: I can get all this stuff about 3 blocks from the office. If you want me to pick this stuff for you let me know.
fe

pmflyfisher
06-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Fred,

Thanks I bought a tube cutter, some hard plastic and metal tubes from the hobby shop. Don't have the plastic tubing inserts for the metal tubes yet. Did buy a file to round off the edges on the metal tubes.

Need to give it another try. Will start with the plastic tubes and tie some using yours as proto types.

Hal